NiCd vs. NiMh

snip

It's called electrical theory. Even the dumbest of dumb chargers have to abide by it.

snip

If that is what you think then it's pointless. Do you think near by lightning strikes will harm the battery too?

Reply to
tnom

The dumbest of dumb chargers use rectified sine waves. Without a voltage regulator, the state of charge will have little effect on current.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Really? The state of charge has a direct effect on the output of the charger. Just what world do you live in?

Reply to
tnom

You're talking about capacitors. If you charged a capacitor with a regulated 1.4V, the current would taper toward nothing at 1.4. With an unregulated charger, current would taper toward nothing at about 2V.

Chemical batteries are different. Voltage-regulated chargers have been used for lead-acid batteries but never worked for nickel batteries. Terminal voltage on NiMH drops when it's fully charged, which means a voltage-regulated or unregulated charger would speed up.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I can't believe how ignorant one can be. Regulated or not, battery or not, when for example a source puts out one volt and a load holds a 1 volt charge just what kind of current will flow from a 1000 amp source?

Are you saying that I was lying about the 340 micro amp trickle charge?

Reply to
tnom

A load doesn't hold a charge. The only thing I know that can be said to be charged to 1 volt is a capacitor. If your batteries are marked in microfarads, they must be capacitors.

I've seen it, but only with voltage-regulated chargers. I quit trying to charge nickel batteries that way long ago. On a charger, a battery that you know isn't fully charged may show the same voltage you expect of a charged one, and trickle charging shortens the service life of a nickel battery.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

You didn't answer the question.

You are truly clueless.

Clueless. It take a regulator?????

Reply to
tnom

Your question is gibberish. If a 1000 amp source puts 1 volt across the load, the load is 1 milliohm.

A load doesn't hold a charge.

Without a regulator, a 1.4 VRMS transformer with a half-wave silicon rectifier should yield similar results, but that transformer would be useless as a dumb charger. You said it was a dumb charger.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Clueless

Ever hear of counter electromotive force........Clueless

A dumb charger can be anything that has no feedback loop.......Clueless.

Reply to
tnom

You must be talking about 1 VAC on an inductive load. What does this have to do with your dumb charger?

Feedback would be useless without a regulator. A regulator would be useless without feedback. When you talk about dumb chargers, you must mean chargers without regulators.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

AC or DC it doesn't matter. Electrical laws still apply. In this case when a battery charges it creates a higher and higher counter electromotive force. Eventually the counter force equals the source and no current flows. This even applies to a charger rated at 1000 amps.

Read up on EMF. You may learn something

snip

Your point????

Do I have to repeat? "A dumb charger can be anything that has no feedback loop.......Clueless."

Getting lost? Oh, I forgot. You are clueless.

And now you are reverting to being just a common troll. Say something on point or intelligent and I may respond. Otherwise have a good day. I've proven my point.

Reply to
tnom

You said "counter electromotive force." That applies only to inductance.

Reply to
E Z Peaces