NG Policies

Page 2 of 3

charlie wrote:

To carry on: Because of the spam emanating from GG, many users discard anything that comes from that source.
In addition, GG is sometimes very slow at propagating messages. Plus the interface is clunky and difficult to navigate.
Higgs Boson wrote:

I pay about $10/year for my newsgroups, but I don't get any binaries. For 10 bucks a year it's well worth not having to deal with a web based news reader/server.
And if anyone noticed I'm using Gmail (google mail) I have it set up as a pop server so I don't use the clunky web based email there either. I'm curious if they let you set up usenet that way also?

I never had a problem with others using it, just not me. Trying not to sound snobby, I do admit it makes the user look like a rookie since real usenet with a real newsreader is 100 times better, easier, and faster.

You don't need to pay for non-binary newsgroups. I would think most folks would opt for one less billing.
Phisherman wrote:

I had trouble with a few different free news servers so I took someones advice and pay $10 for one that seems to always work.

Moderated newsgroups are clearly indicated by the name of the group, e.g. alt.astrology.moderated, alt.comp.lang.c.moderated, and so on.
Doug Miller wrote:

Only 2 moderated groups I subscribe to, don't have moderated in their name. Only sure sign is if you post through Google, they will say that it has been sent for moderator approval.
Also don't down Google. I sometimes post through it when on a company machine.

Just because you use it does not mean it doesn't suck
Frank wrote:

Well if it was any good you would use it at home also. Using it as a last resort doesn't make it good.
Jason Carlton wrote:

Until you pay the membership fee for this group, I can't modify your posts. Membership is $80 for the year, cash only.
Jon
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:12:16 -0700 (PDT), Jason Carlton

No moderator here. Say what you want. I suggest paying close attention to posts and etiquette. Your email was most likely harvested (and will continue to be)--not a big deal getting a new email address though.
is one, there are many others if you keep your eyes open and look for them. Do NOT just make up a name: if it's not already in use, it might be in use in the future so you could be screwing someone before they even get started. The address above is even actually pointed out in an RFC.
HTH,
Twayne`
Twayne wrote:

spams a day.

Not a big problem, I've just tried to use my Gmail address for NG posts to prevent as much spam as I can. I've used the same work email address for 9 years, and it would be next to impossible to change at this point without losing customers, but I've been cautious with it to the point that I only get 30 or 40 spam emails a day (which is only about 1% of my total number of daily emails, so I think that's good).
FWIW, I used to use Forte FreeAgent, but now I don't frequent NGs very often so it's easier to use Google Groups. I completely agree about the interface (especially since I forgot that I was logged in to my Adsense account when I posted), but without being a regular anywhere, FreeAgent is too cumbersome.
While we're on the subject of policies, though, is the preferred method of reply for this NG to top post, bottom post, or post within the original?
(Snippage)
[...]
I think most prefer bottom post, unless you are a Mormon (hang around for a couple of weeks: you will see what I mean) _I_ prefer if the post you are responding to is long, post within. But that's just me. Oh, and use some white space to differentiate what you have to say from what someone else has to say. Maybe that's just me too.
gene

Well I agree with with you and I think a lot of others do too. This particular group is lenient and really not too loud to complain about any method as long as it's reasonable and makes a readable response.
If I'm the first responder to a post, I'll usually bottom post from habit; that's what most groups require. Well, or inline and snipped. If I'm not the first, I'll generally follow whatever the person before me has done. It makes a lot more sense than messing up the flow of the responses, especially considering it's going to be stored in several places like Google for many years. Google is great for researching but not so great to use as a newsreader.
I don't even mind when people don't snip irrelevant data to their response, but I DO mind when the responders can't be bothered to put a blank like before and after their responses, especially with inline responses. It makes it pretty hard to see where the response is, if you can see it at all, and I'll often pass on those kinds of posts. But otherwise, IMO, I just figure "When in Rome ... ".
HTH,
Twayne`
On 9/10/2009 4:57 PM Jason Carlton spake thus:

From what you said it seems as if you're not aware that you have to use a valid email address to post to Usenet (like this newsgroup). You don't. News clients don't validate email addresses like mail clients do.
That's my strategy for avoiding spam: I get *zero* spam, since my address is totally bogus. Plus it can be fun making up phony names.
There's actually no good reason to use a valid email address here, if you think about it: almost all replies to posts here will be made to the newsgroup and not to a poster's email address. (Of course, if you want to initiate email contact with someone here, you can always do that.)
Consider doing that. Then you don't have to change *anything* in order to read and post here.

Jason Carlton wrote:

Yes. All are appropriate at different times. You should be smart enough to figure out when to do what.
Much more difficult it seems is what to quote. You should delete everything except what is essential to your reply. There is seldom a reason to quote an entire message, usually just a few sentences, as I just did here. If you edit/delete correctly it is usually really clear whether you should top post, bottom post or interweave your reply, and everyone reading your reply will easily and effortlessly see to what you are replying.
--
Jack

Bottom posting is preferred, "top posting" is also referred to as "Jeopardy! posting" since the answer comes before the question.
Laziness is usually why people don't trim the quote in a response.

Many people do prefer bottom posting, and many also prefer top posting.
I think bottom posting works best for those who join a discussion late in the discussion, after several postings, since reading in the normal manner (top to bottom) gives the chronological sequence of questions, answers, comments, etc. I think top posting works best for those actively following a thread from the beginning, since the latest response is read first, and one doesn't have to wade through all the previously provided material.
My preference (which happens rarely) is for each poster to edit the post, leaving out irrelevant material, and interweaving his comments within the post, adjacent to the individual points the previous poster(s) made.
I don't think anyone is going to change his approach, but maybe if the pros and cons of all methods are understood there will be less rudeness here and in other newsgroups.
CWLee wrote:

My personal preference would be for top posting, the way e-mail threads end up looking like when nobody trims when they answer. Got used to that from the old green-screen days. (and pre-GUI, with a slow dialup, you could skip to the next message quicker.) But after getting beaten about the head and shoulders several times about it, I bowed the majority and forced myself to get used to bottom posting. Exception, as others have noted, for going in-line in long complex replies.
-- aem sends...