NG Policies

Page 1 of 3

I'm relatively new to this NG (lurked in the past, of course), so forgive my stupid question here. But is this NG moderated at all? I don't see a lot of spam, which is rare for a NG, so I thought maybe it was.
I messed up and made a few posts under my "other" Google account, which has my active work email address attached. I'm hoping to contact a mod and have him to correct those posts so that my unimportant Gmail address will show, instead (and hopefully prevent too many spammers from picking up the active address).
If there is a mod for this NG, how can I contact him/her?
TIA,
Jason
Jason Carlton wrote:

No moderator and I believe this is most active group on the net.
Frank wrote: ...

Not even close to top one of the half-dozen groups I monitor...
dpb wrote:

Yes true. I know of one group that averages about 1000 posts a day.
Jason Carlton wrote:

No moderator and many frown on postings via Google Groups.
You would be encouraged to use a real newsreader instead.

It's hard to find a real newsreader anymore. Comcast dropped newsgroups a couple of years ago in my area so Google Groups is the best free alternative. What's wrong with Google Groups?
Paul

Google Groups has limited features with a so-so user interface. You can use any newsreader such as Forte Agent and configure a free server. But if Google Groups works for you, then there is nothing wrong.

Yeah, the problem with gui's like Google is the users often don't know how to make a Reply or a New Post; they seem to just guess. They use New for a Reply, losing any connection to the thread, or they might even reply to the wrong threads sometimes. But if they get along OK with them, there's no harm in using them, that's for sure. Personally I'd much rather use the text only, direct presentation of a newsreader, any newsreader. It's just easier and clearer how to use it.
HTH,
Twayne`
Twayne wrote:
<snipped>

Yes me too. I don't care to see the stupid little smiley faces bouncing all around the damn place. Actually I'm set to only show me plain text in groups and email so you can send all the HTML you want but I'll never see it. Why would someone send me email with there newborn baby as wallpaper? I don't care if it's family, I send them a fake bounced email reply (a great feature of "mailwasher"). One friend who likes to send me some pretty funny stuff will send me an email telling me to accept the HTML mail that is coming soon.

First off, you need to learn the difference between a news reader and a news server.

Compared to what you get with a dedicated news reader, the interface sucks. And Google does absolutely nothing, either proactively or reactively, about the massive amount of spam that's injected into Usenet through their servers.
Pavel314 wrote:

Google Groups is the WORST of the free news access methods.
Your problems is accessing a news SERVER. There are many free ones if you want to keep using Comcast as your ISP.
In our case, Comcast provides the wire, but Earthlink is our ISP. Earthlink, in turn, povides Giganews for free (one of the largest and best-maintained news servers).
HeyBub wrote:

Earthlink is great for email as well. They filter for viruses and have terrific anti-spam filtering. I rarely get spam; so little, I haven't noticed the frequency. Probably at most once a day.

Here at work they won't let us install a newsgroup reader so I can only use Google Groups.

\\
There is a "portable" version of Mozilla Thunderbird that will run from a USB thumb drive without any installation on the host computer. I imagine there are others if you look around.
Pavel314 wrote:

If you have Outlook or Outlook Express, you have a newsreader. OE comes with the Windows distribution - as a matter of fact, OE cannot be removed! It can, if one tries hard enough, be disabled, but OE is part of Internet Explorer which, in turn, is part of the operating system (not really a stand-alone program).
Therefore, if you're using IE to access Google Groups, Outlook Express is lurking about somewhere.
Pavel314 wrote:

Chuckle. That is maybe because you are AT WORK, and they expect you to be doing company business instead of hanging out on Usenet? :^/
-- aem sends...
Pavel314 wrote:

Once again, using GG as a last resort doesn't make it any good.
Pavel314 wrote:

Thats silly. There are a ton of real newsreaders around, many of them free. Windows comes with a free newsreader, which can instantly be replaced free with Thunderbird, an even better newsreader.

Also silly. There a a number of free newsgroup providers if all you want is non-binaries.(see my tag) Several other cheap providers if you want binaries.
What's wrong with Google Groups?
Much easier to list whats right with it. It's main use is their archives for old messages, and OK if you are at work and not permitted to use newsgroups, you generally can get access via Google. Thats all I can think of...
--
Jack

For years I used Forte Agent, but then they dropped access to NGs unless one paid a (small) fee.
I did for a while, but my NG usage is so very small and limited that I find it easier just to use Google Groups rather than to sign up for what you call a "real newsreader".
So, this is a serious question: Why do you say that use of Google is "frowned on" by many?
TIA
Hypatia

For years I used Forte Agent, but then they dropped access to NGs unless one paid a (small) fee.
I did for a while, but my NG usage is so very small and limited that I find it easier just to use Google Groups rather than to sign up for what you call a "real newsreader".
So, this is a serious question: Why do you say that use of Google is "frowned on" by many?
TIA
Hypatia
--
it\'s a source of much of the newsgroups spam, so it\'s just a reaction to the
other users of it.