Newly painted door sticks.

Plane down the edge(s) of the door to allow expansion/contraction movement due to temperature and humidity (the bigger problem). Repaint.

RicodJour

Unless there's an expansion/contraction problem, you could wax the places that the doors contact when closed. Tom

Reply to
tom

We have a new interior latex paint job on the home, which includes the door and door hinges. It looks great now but some of the doors won't open. On a really hot day we can't even open some of the doors. Our grandmother essentially cannot leave the house until it cools down. The moment when we do successfully open some of the door a loud bang will occur. This wakes up everyone. How do I stop freshly painted doors from sticking?

Thanks

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

And paint the top and bottom of the door as well. If at all possible, paint during dryer weather and allow paint to cure completely before leaving it closed - not always possible.

Reply to
Norminn

Your doors were tight before the paint job. Now they are tighter and sticky from the new paint too. Usually the sticking area is near the top edge somewhat because the door has probably sagged. You might be successful by tightening the hinges if they are loose. That might pull the door up a bit and in at the top. However, it sounds like more will be needed, namely, planing the edge with a hand plane. If you look carefully you will see the tight area from the rub marks being left by the sticking. Concentrate planing in this area and you will find the door opening fine. Plane an extra amount. Test it for a few days and then give it a light coat of paint.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Lates paint will do that unfortunately; it loves to adhere to itself. Assuming the door fits are correct and there isn't interference when they are closing, the it's the paint sticking them together. It can last for weeks after painting - the latex takes forever to fully cure even though it's dry, because of lack of air when the door is closed. If it's the paint, it will be obvious at the contact areas; you'll see the cross-planting of the paint when it splits apart. Clear tape would work too, but wherever you use it is likely to pull the paint off when you eventually remove it.

Wax or even soap rubbed on the sticking areas might help but it'll also prolong the cure completion time.

HTH

Pop

Reply to
Pop