Newly applied Latex paint bubbling over spackling

I have an issue where the Porter interior latex paint is bubbling up over where I have applied DAP spackling. The paint is in a five gallon bucket that was leftover from when the house was built in September

2003. I have kept the paint in the basement. The DAP spackling is the kind that goes on pink then dries white. I just purchased it.

The area I am working is five or six three-inch areas. I have redone this area twice with the same results. Any ideas why this occurring? Should I use a primer coat? If I do use a primer coat will this make the latex paint a different color than the surrounding areas. The paint color is Taupe White.

Thanks

Reply to
bstewart68

I should have also mentioned that the paint bubbles up in 10-15 minutes after application

Reply to
bstewart68

Try different spackle. Let dry longer. Two coats primer, feathered edges. Paint with small roller, feather edges. Paint "sinks" more without sufficient primer. Be sure all your stuff is stirred well. If it bubbles again, you either have bad paint or moisture intrusion behind the wall.

Reply to
Norminn

Thanks for the response. Can you recommend any other spackle brands? Will the primer affect the color of the paint when compared to the other areas?

Reply to
bstewart68

You really shouldn't need primer. I believe the problem is a moisture problem, or possibly bad spackle or bad paint. The primer will not affect the color, assuming you apply the proper number of coats to cover, be it 1 or 2 or ... depending on paint quality and color. However, you *must* feather out the paint edges as Norminn said or else you will definitely see lines, depending on the light.

Reply to
jeffc

Thanks folks...newgroups are great!!

It sounds like I may have not let the spackle dry long enough. I waited only an hour-after the spackle color transitioned from pink to white. I will wait a day before I start sanding/painting.

Reply to
bstewart68

No more bubbling paint but now the paint is noticeably dark over the primered area. I have already added two coats. Should I just keep adding more coats??

Reply to
bstewart68

What's the rush? I wait minimum two-three days after I spackle. If the reworked area is still noticeably darker in a week, put another thin coat on that entire wall. If that doesn't "fix" it, nothing will. Do you stir the paint well right before you use it?

Reply to
Norminn

ok, I was wrong. It was not that the paint is darker over the area. The paint looks darker in this area because the new paint is more textured. This only occurs when natural light shines on it Is there anything I can do to make the paint look less textured? Maybe some light sanding? Different roller?

Reply to
bstewart68