Newish sink strainer leaking ???

Last summer we remodeled our kitchen. The sink is double basin stainless steel with Kholer nickle plated brass baskets. They came with strainers with o-rings in them. Over use the o-rings streatched and subsequently wouldn't fit properly in the opening. I contacted Kholer and they replaced them with larger guage (i.e.: thicker) o-rings of the same diameter. I thought they would have done the job. But they leak almost all the time. Even when it looks like there is no leaking, say when doing dishes, by the time we're done the water has leaked out. This occurence is true for both baskets.

Has any one else experienced this issue and if so what was done to remedy it? Hopefully I don't have to replace the baskets and seeing how two different o-rings were tried and both leaked, there doesn't seem much sense with staying with the same strainers.

Do they make other strainers with larger bonded seals that will fit the same diameter basket opening?

Just wondering.

Reply to
BobMCT

I'd continue to be all over Kohler about this. Since K replaced them with larger O-rings, sounds like they know there is a problem. You can also buy O-rings yourself, they are available online by dimensions, so if you think you know what size ring would work, that might be an option.

You could also take what you have to a plumbing supply and see if they have a suggestion. They could also probably best tell you if there is some other strainer that will fit.

It's a rather odd problem, because it can't be install related and you would think K would make strainers that will close tight and not let the sink drain. that will fit

Reply to
trader_4

Bob, Hard to see exactly what the Kohler is doing but the O-ring must seal somewhere. Is the groove on the basket clear of crap so that the O-ring can seal to the basket? Is the diameter such that the O-ring is tight on the basket? Is the basket deformed (non-circular)? Now look at the sink fitting. Where does the O-ring hit that fitting? Is that clean? Is it deformed (non-circular)? When you press the basket into the fitting it should be tight. When you remove it, it should be tight. 6" of dish water is not a lot of water pressure.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel