Newcandescents

A fella is selling rough service bulbs to avoid government rules basically outlawing incandescents. http://preview.tinyurl.com/m8jmmda The smallest ones are 25 watt. I associate rough service bulbs with trouble lights. Those are probably 60 to 100 watt if I recall correctly.
On 12/17/2013 6:16 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Little crises for little minds.
On 12/17/2013 07:16 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

And ironically, "rough service" lights are less efficient than traditional incans.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 12/17/2013 7:48 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

That stands to reason. After all, Al Gore is less intelligent and more obnoxious and condescending than most of his ilk.

Yes, and the energy advocates know about the so-called "loophole". So, there's a provision in the 2007 EISA legislation that was put in at the behest of the energy advocates that says the shipments of rough service lamps must be tracked by the lamp manufacturers. If it goes up by a certain percent, then those bulbs can be regulated as well. The next round of regulation discussions starts in January. Mr. Birnbaum is no hero in my view as he will just make it tougher to get certain bulbs down the road while he makes a short-term profit selling less efficient bulbs.
Tomsic
On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 06:16:39 -0600, Dean Hoffman

I'm surprised someone hasn't tried to market them as "Space Heaters." That would be a simpler approach.
On 12/17/2013 10:59 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

someone already tried "heat balls".
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/17/2013 9:59 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

A fellow in Europe tried to sell them as heaters but The European Union shut him down. o_O
TDD

rules

correctly.
Where are incand's illegal? They're still in the stores here on the left coast.
On 12/17/2013 12:24 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

It's not so much that they've been outlawed, it's that they now have to meet new efficiency standards. If a particular brand/model of (certain kinds of) bulb can't meet the standards, it can no longer be sold in the US. However, existing inventories can still be sold. Also, the law exempts all kinds of specialty bulbs. The market has shifted to CFLs to the degree that the bulb manufacturers don't see any issue with this. In fact, they support it.
The "they're coming to get our lightbulbs" hysteria is a manufactured controversy. Just like the so-called War on Christmas, which is nothing more than RWNJs insisting on imposing their brand of political correctness on everyone else by demanding we all speak our holiday greetings in _only_ the approved RWNJ manner.
My understanding is that principally only the Edison base common wattage incandescent bulbs will be taken off the market; 40, 60 and 100 Watt.
Incandescent bulbs for which no CFL's or LED's are available as direct replacements will still be available for sale, and that includes all your car's light bulbs, flood lights, insect lights, grow lights, etc.
But, if North America could replace all of it's 60 watt incandescent bulbs with 13 watt CFL's, or LED's, that would mean a huge reduction in energy consumption and a huge reduction in the amount of coal and natural gas being burned to produce the needed electrical power.
--
nestork

On 12/17/2013 9:57 PM, nestork wrote: ...

I'm not sure (and haven't tried to look it up) what fraction of total load is incandescent lighting to actually see how much of a percentage in net generation it would make but I'd suspect it's not as much as one might think. But, that aside, why should we arbitrarily put the coal industry out of business and add them to the unemployment lines?

Restrictive Obama laws have been shutting down coal power plants around here. But, the one I look at over the hill has been shut off for a couple years, yet they still have it functioning in some manner. All lit up, and some people work there. I hear sounds over the pa. Must be a reason.
Greg
On 12/21/2013 10:20 PM, gregz wrote:

Which plant, where? I _might_ know something about it; spent last 10-15 yr of career consulting for mostly fossil utilities thru EPRI at the I&C Center located at the TVA Kingston (TN) site...
On 12/22/2013 8:35 AM, dpb wrote:

(The Center was EPRI membership-funded research/development specialization focus center with members from all over US so had contact with quite a number is how might possibly know something from other locations...)

I'm near Pittsburgh. The plant is Elrama. I toured the plant as a high school field trip many years ago. I know it had cut down emissions by over 85%.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Elrama_Power_Plant
Greg
On 12/22/2013 9:39 PM, gregz wrote:

It's old (early 50s) small units of roughly 100 MW each. Not much point in doing anything major. Perhaps they've some need to have in mothball status for a while until get replacement online but they weren't an I&C Center sponsor so don't have any "indside" info...

many coal plants are upgraded to burn natural gas, which is extermely clean....
On 12/22/2013 12:11 PM, bob haller wrote:

Since then there have been a couple I'm aware of but they're all either very small units (like 80 MWe or so) or the conversion hasn't actually been a full conversion but rather introducing combined cycle or even by experimental biomass conversion.
As a general, widespread rule, the conversion of large, reasonably modern coal-fired plants to natural gas-fired units using same boilers, etc., but just changing fuel source just hasn't happened (and isn't likely going to happen in any large numbers even going down the road).
There will, presuming the EPA continues to take such a hostile stance to coal, continue to be modifications such that the utilities can survive but it's just not feasible to make a blanket conversion of existing boilers--there's a lot more to burning coal and a lot more in modification of a large boiler to burn gas than the general public thinks.
Whatever, you can be sure electricity prices are going to go up...
CFLs cut my electric bill a LOT. i dont like regular bulbs, they use excess power and burn out too often.
my curret CFLs must be approaching 3 years old, and some are on a lot.