newbie water damage question

Hello All:

I have a yellow stain on my ceiling that is the result of rainwater leaking into my home. The underlying leakage problem has been fixed, but I am unsure if it will be necessary to replace the drywall.

The stained drywall feels "normal" to the touch, and there is no sign of sagging or moisture retention.

Should the affected drywall be cut out and replaced?

I would greatly appreciate any insight!

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

If the ceiling in in tact there is no need to replace the dry wall. Get youself some KILZ at you local paint store to seal the stain and then paint with your regular ceiling paint.

Reply to
Randd01

Thanks for the advice! I'll give your suggestion a try.

Reply to
Chris

This is Turtle.

Randdo1 Nailed it, but do lay the Kilz stuff to it. Kilz stuff is the key.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

kilz Is not a waterproofer It's simply a stain killer.

Reply to
TONY 70000

This is Turtle.

Earth to Tony 70000 , Why would I want to water proof the ceiling when i have a roof and shingles to do it for me. You got me on this one.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE