Newbie Questions: Wireless Home Alarm System

My PC-illiterate buddy just moved into a new home, and is thinking about installing a do-it-yourself alarm system. The easier to install the better, but he wants to get a good quality one. His walls are already finished, which might make a wired system harder to install. Can someone recommend a particular brand or model so that I may point him in the right direction? Is wireless the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
308nato

Depends on many things. Budget would be the first consideration. I set up a System that is a DIY from Home Depot and Radio Shack with motion detection and wired and wireless cameras that record to a PC and a VCR with battery backup. Research is the key. I would tell him to do that himself. Recommendations should be give and taken with a grain of salt. The best results would be done by a pro if not knowing anything what so ever.

Bob

Reply to
Just Bob

Frankly I think I would still go for wired, but these folk should have the wireless hardware.

Joseph Meehan

If he is going to get monitoring anyway, some companies do a small system for free if you sign up for monitoring. I have a wireless system many years ago. I would get false alarms from static and other problems though the company eventually had me do some simple modifications to eliminate that. What I noticed though was a lot of these wireless systems go off the market quickly because people don't buy them. Some MBA convinces a company to make them because there will be a demand but the demand is smaller than expected and the companies quit the business.

Reply to
Art

For a DIY all you can really install is either a loud alarm which will not be monitored or an internet enabled survallence system.

If he is far from a neighbor or they are all too lame to call the cops when they hear it go off, it will be as useless as most car alarms. It will probably scare off most intruders though.

X-10 has a variety of home security sensors and autodialer but I personally like the system where you can have cameras with motion sensors connected to your PC to save images and connect over the web so you can keep an eye on your house while you are away.

Reply to
PipeDown