Newbie electrical question

Hello everyone. What I am proposing to do is add an outdoor light controlled by an outdoor switch in a double gang box that will also have a GFI duplex outlet. The power will be provided by an existing outdoor motion sensing light that is controlled by an existing indoor single pole switch. This indoor switch is in the on position practically all of the time so I believe if I just pigtail power to the motion sensor light and then run power to the new fixtures I should be alright, right? Will the power downline be turned off and on by the motion sensor? Also, will I need to upgrade the indoor switch to handle the extra load and is it also a bad idea to put another switch on a line that has already been switched. Thanks.
I dont want the existing motion sensor light to control the other downline fixtures. I just want to draw power for the downline fixtures from the switched motion sensor. The downline fixtures will be a single pole switch to run a floodlight without a sensor and a GFI outlet. Thanks for your reply.
To have a motion sensing light control other fixtures you need to run wires from the switched electric at the motion sensing light, But most are rated at 350-500 watt so you cant add much. X -10 also known as Radioshack Plug In Power has exterior motion lamps and switch modules that can control everything even from 3 button built in or hand held garage door openers. One unit can be set to trigger many others by AC line pulse communication.
It's a little unclear what you're trying to do, but if you intend to tap power for this new circuit after the existing indoor switch, but before the motion detector and feed a GFCI outlet and a switch for a floodlight, it will work fine as long as the circuit can handle the additional load.

snipped-for-privacy@hickorytech.net wrote:

What you describe will work fine. The downstram power will not be diddled by the motion detector as long as you tap off from the input side of that light fixture.
Just make sure you use wire no smaller than what's going from the existing switch to the motion detector light. And, don't forget the ground conductor.
A little unorthodox to be sure. If it was me, I'd probably remove the existing switch and put a blank plate over the box, just to avoid confusing someone not in the know about it. But, maybe you've got some valid need to keep the motion detector from turning on at certain times.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
The power now goes from a switch to a light. You want to take it from the light to a new box with a switch and and outlet, and from the second switch to a light. Is that correct?
In principle there is nothing wrong with that. The motion detector is part of the first light and will no effect on a parallel connection. The existing switch is certainly capable of handling 15a (although I have never seen one not capable, it still might be prudent to check it).
Presumably the first switch goes to a box that has the first light mounted on it. If so, it is a simple matter to put the wiring to the new box in there.