New Zealand deer, er, dear

"Mears shot 25-year-old Ms Ives dead while she was brushing her teeth at a Turangi camp ground. Mears mistook a light on her head for the eyes of a deer."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/crime/news/article.cfm?c_id0&objectid 690754
Gulp!
I just bought a cap with LED lights in the bill. It's already come in handy for home repairs where there was no light, but I guess I better not use it in the woods.
Here's the hat (bottom right corner of 2nd page): http://www.blackfriday.info/sales/lowes-black-friday-ad.html
Aside from the potential peril of being mistaken for a deer or a muskrat, the hat IS quite handy.

I was out in my back yard on opening day of gun season here in Michigan and a slug from a shotgun missed me by about 10 feet. I went deer hunting one time after I moved to Michigan and after that I don't go into the woods during gun season. Now it looks like I better stay outa the back yard too. Too many deer hunters and too many of them are stupid.
-C-

Maybe it wasnt an accident
On 11/28/2010 1:50 PM, ransley wrote:

Police would be remiss not to check out.
Coworker was on a jury where guy had accidentally shot his wife at the range. Maybe he would have gotten away with it if he hadn't told friends he was "going to shoot the bitch."

One of the strangest was a few weeks ago when two Australian women shot each other at a shooting range in Colorado.
-C-

Last I heard, that was a double suicide attempt.
On Nov 28, 7:14pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That's what I heard too. One of the strange things about it was no suicide note and they found articles about the Columbine incident in their hotel room.

How many deer have you seen with flash lights on their head, brushing their teeth , at a sink in camp - guilty
On 11/28/2010 6:21 PM, ransley wrote:

Hey look! There's a deer wearing an orange vest! :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Aside: My criminal law class used deer hunters to illustrate the five different types of homicide we have in our state.
1. Murder: One hunter deliberately kills the second. 2. Manslaughter: Shooter becomes enraged over second hunter's claim that HE shot the deer (emotional distress). 3. Negligent: Shooter blows away a rustling bush that was concealing the victim. 4. Justifiable: Shooter two shoots directly at shooter number one. Number one returns fire killing #2 (self defense) 5. Excusable: Victim cavorts across the field wearing a deer costume (no penalty).
On 11/29/2010 4:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Is number 5 similar to the Texas defense? "Judge, he needed killing!" :-)
TDD
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:23:46 -0600, The Daring Dufas

The Darwin Defense.

HE
In death penalty states, there's another class of homicide:
6. Jural: Shooter in case 1 gets the death penalty and is executed (legally) by the state.
-- Bobby G.
Robert Green wrote:

Yeah. In my state Murder (#1) is divided into two sub classes: 1) Ordinary murder. 2) Capital Murder.
Capital murder is murder committed:
* On a police officer, fireman, prison guard, etc. * During the action of another felony (robbery, rape, etc.) * While escaping a prison or jail * Multiple murders during the same episode * On a small child * As retaliation on a judge * For hire or remuneration such as insurance

Even better, put him in a lawyer's suit and pretend you are Dick Cheney.

handy
I've got a similar hat and prefer it to the clip-on lights because the lights and switch are very well camoflauged so I don't look like a total geek wearing it. The hat has three LEDs and three switch settings that make it suitable for lighting a path while walking or for doing close up work. Great for keeping your hands free. The only downside is that they use expensive CR2032 cells (four of them!). Of course, with a little searching, you can get 100 of them for 5 bucks from Ebay's Chinese vendors.
For extended outside work I prefer a headband LED unit with a dozen LEDs, three differening lighting levels and a head that can be precisely aimed and that runs off cheap AAA batteries. Also has a flashing mode. I keep one in the glove box of each of our cars for emergency work at night. Sounds like I had better watch out for hunters. How any numbnuts can mistake an LED hat for deer's eyes I don't know.
-- Bobby G.
On Nov 30, 9:43am, "Stormin Mormon"

There are still people out there that can't operate a gun safely no matter how much training they get. I saw a video a while back where an ATF agent shot himself in the foot while giving a gun safety demonstration at a school.
-C-