New wood for steps

Page 1 of 2
What is the ideal wood for new steps ? For stair going to the second floor. Looking for the cherry wood look.
Drew Cutter wrote:

Ideal in what way? After eliminating the unsuitable woods (due to softness, checking and the like) it's entirely your choice based on price and the amount of effort to get a particular species to look the way you want it.

Do you want pretty? Durability? Price?
Yes, cherry is nice, oak is about half the price.
Drew Cutter wrote:

Cherry, maybe?
The only thing i could find is oak . Any stains , waxes , etc - would you recommend ? To get that cherry look , low maintenance , long life.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

hits.
I did a quick stop at lowe.
Andy Hill wrote:

places to look for high-end anything. Try calling around to some real hardwood suppliers.

There is a whole big world of material out there that Lowes and Home Depot will never see. Talk to your local lumber dealer or hardwood dealer.
Too high for my blood (45-60.00). Just trying to get the house ready to sell.
Andy Hill wrote:

low-end for this house? If the treads, risers, etc. are already in place and still solid, that might be the least expensive way to get it pretty.
I'm not a big fan of the oak grain pattern, no matter how it's stained, but that's just a personal taste issue.
Drew Cutter wrote:

You are looking at fairly major work, a waste in getting a house "ready to sell". What is on steps now? What condition? What flooring is above and below the steps?
May be cheaper, easier and adequate to make the house look good if you just lay down an inexpensive runner.
I don't know what the floor is below. Does squeak and floor nail popping out. If the wood on the house is any indication of what type of job they did 55 years ago ( new siding put on ). Then the stair need to be looked at. The Realtor coming out Monday.
Norminn wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

What's covering it up now or do you mean you just can't recognize wood types?
If you're just trying to "fix-up" to sell, probably all that's needed/is economically justified is to reset any loose nails, maybe shim a step or two if there's access underneath, and refinish the existing treads...
It has carpet on now. Been there for a long time.
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Drew Cutter wrote:

Couldn't you just buy the durable stuff and then cover it with pergo. One thing with pergo is that it won't scratch and you have a multidude of stains/colors to choose from.
Matt
I asked the local floor store about laminated . They didn't recommend it. I will do more checking on Saturday. Looking for an inexpensive means of improving the stairs.
Matias Silva wrote:

It has to be done right and is not always easy. Mine has been in place for about 7+ years now with no problems. If you have a stair with one end open, it is difficult to install and have that end with the balusters look right.
Stairs with a wall on either side are far less problematic. you just cut the width as needed for a piece for the tread and the nosing, then the riser.
Good , I've got walls on both sides. I know of one other place than lowe or home depot to check out.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Matias Silva wrote:

hhaha I was reading my own post... and I said "wtf multidude" I meant multitude... any how I figure you guys caught that too...
Sorry off topic...
Good Luck Matt