New windows for new house advice

Well I have always had problems with old wood windows. Painted shut, wood swells during high humidity times and they do not work properly, etc.

Never had any problems with old metal windows opening and closing properly.

Don't have any experience with *old* PVC windows (like 40 years old) as these are all fairly new, but I would suspect they would fall into the metal window category (still operate OK after many years)???

Reply to
Bill

I will be ordering my window package for my new house shortly. The sales guy has quoted on PVC triple pane with a wood jamb.

My question - should we go with the wood jambs or PVC jambs? Wood seems like it means painting every few years, worrying about water condensation on the wood etc.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
gary

Hi, You did not mention where you live. My 10 year old house came with double pane low E Argon gas filled aluminum clad windows. Two sprang a leak out of ~30 windows during the period which were replaced on warranty. No painting, nothing as far as maintenance goes. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Life is too short to have to deal with wood windows. Especially with the shitty assed fast-grow crap pine wood you find these days.

Believe, me I'm shopping for homes built in the late 80's and the whole neighborhood is rife with crappy crappy wood windows that are in need of replacement now, just 20 years later.

Vinyl is the way to go. If you like a wood look, you can good "Oak finish" vinyl windows that look great, and you don't have to screw with them ever again.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I'd go PVC for all the same reasons listed. I know I don't want the crappy rapid growth woods of today exposed to weather relying on my busy self to be painting and babying them regularly to hold up.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

The windows are PVC but the jamb option is wood or PVC.

Reply to
gary