new windows

Posted yesterday regarding Martin replacement windows. They have vinyl and fiberglass windows available. The idea of fiber glass really interest me since you can order them with a stainable veneer on the inside. This window I am told also comes as a sash and track replacement for glider windows. Anyone have any info on fiberglass vs vinyl? I hate to spend a bundle on junk if that 's what fiber glass is.

Thanks for your patience Frank

Reply to
KTECH

I'm thinking fiberglass is a better product than vinyl. They make insulated doors (stainable) which are a cut above insulated steel, so I don't see why it wouldn't be good for windows too.

Reply to
marson

Natural Resources Canada has put out a thorough Consumer's Guide for buying energy efficient windows.

Section 7.5 entitled "Better Frame Materials" states,

"The best energy performance in window frames has been achieved using a fiberglass frame with foam insulation in the frame cavities."

You can download the full PDF document here. I highly recommend it if you're shopping for windows.

jonny_rizzo