New window sticker adhesive removal

We just installed some new windows to replace our 35 year old original windows. After installation I removed the stickers that were on the glass. They came off very easily and there was no adhesive left on the glass.

I washed both sides of the window with Windex the location of the sticker is still visible when the light hits the glass just right. I can feel no film or adhesive but I can still see where the sticker was.

How can I remove the "image" of the sticker?

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Hi, Acetone or nail polish?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You meant nail polish REMOVER didn't you??? WD 40 and believe it or not real peanutbutter will take care of it as well......

Reply to
benick

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION Do not remove any images until you are sure what they are. Could be the Blessed Mother telling us something. You may now be living in a shrine and never be able to wash the windows, at least not until after prayer services.

If your windows manage to pass (or would that be fail?) the Sainthood test and are blessed by the local Bishop, try acetone or mineral spirits, they wash as usual.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd go soft to start with, to avoid having anything too harsh around your new windows. Use something like Dawn dishwashing detergent 1st and see if that cuts it. If not, work your way up, trying rubbing alcohol next, then if all else fails go for the hard stuff like lacquer thinner or nail polish remover.

Reply to
Mark

Lighter Fluid - Zippo or Rosonol - the kind used in flint lighters.

We use it to remove adhesive residue all the time. It'll soak right right through most paper stickers and go right to the glue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Rubbing alcohol.

Reply to
Ron

See "Naptha"

Reply to
HeyBub

I know what he is talking about and it's not the sticky residue. I used to install glass and even after removing the sticker with a razor blade and glass cleaner you could still see where the sticker was at in certain cases if the glass got wet. I don't recall seeing the "ghost" image of a sticker because of the way the light hit it, as is the OP's case, but rubbing alcohol always took care of the problem.

Reply to
Ron

Gordon Shumway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Grab a bottle of vegetable oil from the kitchen. Apply with a paper towel to the areas. Final clean with Windex.

Reply to
Marina

Local diocese, ask for the priest who does exorcisms. They will deny it at first so you will have to be very insistent.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Kerosene.

Reply to
Phisherman

And a match??

Lou

Reply to
LouB

How many little brush bottles of nail polish do you think it will take?

I've had some success removing sticker glue with WD-40. And the other day I used carburetor cleaner spray.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

re: How many little brush bottles of nail polish do you think it will take?

It may take quite a number of the little bottles, but if he does it right, he won't have to use the little brushes. Since nail polish, like paint, can vary from bottle to bottle, it would behoove the OP to mix all those little bottles into a single larger container to ensure consistancy. Once he has enough, he can use a larger brush or even a roller if need be.

Can you imagine the odor associated with applying nail polish with a roller?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thank all of you for your replies. It seems there are several good solutions for this problem. There were even s few others that really wouldn't have made much difference :-)

Thanks, G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Every lezbo in the city would come a'running.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

goof off or goo gone, are amazing products. I use them to remove my competitors service tags. Peel sticker, a little on a rag does the rest. also removes magic markers after klids write on walls:)

use a razor blade on glass to remove the heavy stuff, goo gone for the remants

no bad odors, isnt flammable either

Reply to
hallerb

If no one has already suggested it... visit the home store and get a bottle of "goo gone". It will do EXACTLY what you are asking and will not hurt virtually any material. I've used it to remove stickers on just about anything except natural silk.

Good luck - Bob

Reply to
Bob M

I've read every response, and they are all wrong.

The place where the sticker was is the cleanest part of the glass once removed. You need to vigorously clean the entire piece of glass in order to not see where the sticker was.

Reply to
asteriskhunter