new water heater

Hi we just moved to a new house and the first few days the water heater was not working, so we called the plumber and he replace the heating element because the water is leaking from it and caused a spark tripping the circuit breaker. Then the following day the heater stop working again we called the plumber but before he got there I pressed the reset button and the water heater start working but the following day it stopped again, and its been like that since. Every morning I have to go and press the reset button to get the water heater working. Is there anything that can be done so that I don't have to go there and hit the reset button, the electrical company that did the wiring on the house says it might be due to GFCI.

When it trips, check the temperature of the water and try some from the drain. If the water is unusually hot the thermostat overheat sensor is doing it's job. If the water in the bottom is hot it is probably a bad bottom thermostat. Don't do any poking around in there unless you trip the breaker.
Robin wrote:

If this is a new home and not just new to you, call the builder. Don't spend your money.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Reset button, do you mean wall circuit breaker on the main panel.
What on earth are you talking about? What kind of water heater is this? What is the reset button on? You have your water heater on a GFCI? How does water leak on a heating element?

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/troublee.htm From your description, plus assuming your water heater is similar to the one described in the link above, I would guess that your lower thermostat is defective, causing the water to become too hot, consequently tripping the high limit switch.
Since I never owned an electric water heater, this may be incorrect. Please supply more info, like what model water heater, and what reset button (a button on the water heater, or a button on the circuit breaker??)
BTW, a short circuit caused by water rarely produced enough current to trip a circuit breaker, unless it is a GFI breaker. And you cannot get spark from passing electricity throught water.