new water filter/softener system help

Recently had my submersiable water pump , expanson tank replaced and new water filter/softener system installed(hard rusty water) and after a month or so I seem to still have air in the system. The water is milky but clears quickly and I can hear air in the pipes. What could be the likely cause? Gonna call the company that did the install but wanted to make sure it wasn't something stupid I could easily fix myself first. Thanks for any help.......

Reply to
benick

Did you by any chance get an iron filter as part of the installation? If so, that would explain the air in the system. The one I had installed injected air into the water entering the iron filter in order to convert from dissolved iron to red iron which can be filtered out via a (IIRC) green sand filter.

Just a thought.

Reply to
DonC

Not sure but has your ground water possible gone up or down and maybe you are sucking some air with the water. Or has your regeneration slowed due to lack of rain, Possible you have a bad line which could let air in or have you tried operating the system without the filter or the softner to see if they are part of the promblem.

Reply to
jim

Yes I have the same system as you I think...2 slender cylinders with timers and a trash can sized tank that I add salt to...(green bag) Now that you mention it I think he said something about injecting air. So milky water is "normal"????

Reply to
benick

I assume one of the tanks and the "trash can sized tank" makes up the softener side of your system.

IF the other tank is indeed your green sand filter, you should need to use the salt that comes in the green bag. That salt includes the equivalent of "Iron Out" added to the salt. If the iron filter is working --- and the air bubbles indicate it is -- you shouldn't have iron reaching your softener. You should double check with your installer to make sure you understand what they installed. BTW, my iron filter had an automotive type valve stem mounted on a device where the water entered the filter. There is a venturi in the device which created a low pressure zone which sucked the tire valve open and drew air into the water stream.

As I recall, the air eventually went away. But it's presence should be a comforting assurance to you that the system is working properly.

Reply to
DonC