New Vinyl Over Old Vinyl

Is is possible (permitted? recommended?) to lay a new sheet vinyl floor over an old one? The old one is in pretty good mechanical shape

- still stuck to the floor, no holes, cuts, etc, but is a little scruffy looking after 15 years. If it is possible, is there any special prep? Special adhesive? or ???

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Check the vinyl manufacturers site for detailed instructions. If not detailed enuf, I know Mannington will fax you their pro instructions on request. Are you sure yours is glued down? Some is only held at the edges and easy to remove.

Reply to
Art

New floor being shiney will show any defects of old floor, check it good.

Reply to
m Ransley

In my home, I found that last time vinyl was put down, 1/4 inch sanded plywood was stapled on top of old vinyl, then new vinyl was laid on top. I don't know if this is "ok" or not though. Looks as if I'll have to remove and replace 1/4 plywood prior to next vinyl installation (I'll let the pro's do it, Too many extra cuts needed, not a simple square or rectangle)

Reply to
Chuck

If the old floor has a texture to it (faux brick, for example), it will telegraph through the new stuff unless you add a layer of something inbetween. Like the other guy said, see if maybe it is just edge glued- if so, pull it up. Any raised seams need to be planed and smoothed with leveling compound to keep them from telegraphing.

aem sends.....

Reply to
ameijers

sheet vinyl

mechanical shape

little

there any

There is a surfacing compound that is used to level the old textured surface. Check with the place you buy the new material. I bought my new flooring from Lowe's and they had the surfacing material and it worked like a charm. It's been three years since I refloored the kitchen and it looks great.

Good luck. -- Frank

Reply to
Frank K.