New valve stems - unequal water pressure

I replaced two old style Sayco valve stems with new of same stems in a tub/shower and the water pressure is weaker on the hot water side. Turning it full on doesn't increase the pressure, whereas the cold water side increases in pressure as the valve is opened. The cold full on is much stronger than the hot full on. There are no leaks, on the outside of the wall anyway.

This tub has always been used just as a shower and I hadn't really noticed what it was like with the water selected to exit the tub spout before, so I don't know how the current situation compares to the what it was doing before.

Should I be concerned about the difference in the pressure?

Thanks.

Reply to
post_acct

actually its FLOW not pressure, try installing the old parts and see if that helps

Reply to
bob haller

Oh, flow. Thanks. Okay, replaced the hot with the old stem and it's still less *flow* on that side than the cold side.

Reply to
post_acct

Hot water pipes, especially if there is a water softener that's not kept in service, tend to plug up faster than the cold water pipes. It's not an unusual situation. The blockage is probably right up close to the water heater or water softener if there is one. It's just the imipurities in the water collecting around joints, especially faucet controls and ells. My best guess, anyway IME. We bought a home in Chgo that had that problem with all the faucets, so rather than do flow rates into buckets & all that, I just replumbed all the runs, from the street to the sinks, toilets, etc.. We still had great water flow 17 years later when we sold it and moved.

No need to be very concerned as long as you can get along with it. It'll continue to get slower and slower for years until yuo get to the point you feel it needs to be fixed. Steel pipes are worse than copper is worse than plastic. Well water is worse than city water as a rule, not always.

Reply to
Twayne

The other faucets have equal flow, so if there is a reduction in the capacity of the piping it's probably nearer this faucet.

Thanks.

Reply to
post_acct

Your comment about pipes getting clogged made me get out one of the few tools I use comfortably, the flashlight. Found there was a build up of what I assume were calcium deposits in the seat (?), so I gingerly loosened it with a screwdriver, turned on the water to try to blow it out of there and voila, seemingly normal flow.

Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
post_acct

Most people can use a flashlight well, but don't forget that some need a left-handed flashlight, sold at specialty stores.

Reply to
mm

m,

I know. I had to pay extra for it. But it paid off because I had to hold the screwdriver in my right hand.

Reply to
post_acct

m,

And be sure to get one built in whatever hemisphere you are or the light will run backwards.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K