New (use for a) product

I noticed the rubber sleeve insulating the Freon line was hard, cracked, and just generally decrepit. It was also cool to the touch.
So I decided to replace it.
Went to HD and found a six-foot model for just that purpose. About $7.00. Okay, I bought it.
Continuing on in my shopping journeys, I went to Walmart to pick up the latest Chinese product and they were promoting some kind of fun stick for kids ("Ages 2 and up"). It was a six-foot, 3" diameter polypropylene foam tube that the kids could use to whack each other in the pool. It had a 3/4" hole down its middle. Hmm.
Bought one. $1.50.
Put it on the table saw to cut a slit from one side to the center hole.
Wrapped this slit stick around the Freon line (fit perfectly) and, with the help of a few lock-ties and some super duct-tape, replaced the skanky, worn-out crap that was there.
Took the original rubber thingy back to HD.
Time will tell about durability, etc., but right now it seems to be working perfectly. The downside is that my home is starting to resemble a clown-house because these tubes don't come is colors that could be called "subtle."

Can of $1.29 Wally-brand spray paint close to your housie color?

They're "pool noodles". Change the color with duct tape :-//
Good idea.
Ha! Poor people pay twice. 12 months out of that if you are lucky and you will be back to buy armourflex tube to do the job properly.
Dave.

Dave wrote:

Bah! The Freon pipe HAD a commercial, made-for-it, product originally. House was built in the '60's and the hose was already falling apart.
Polypropylene, irrespective of its origin, is forever.
Besides, I'm sure it has lead in it.

I would just wonder if the polypropylene has the equivalent or better R- factor of what is used by HVAC folks.
I'm sure it's better than what was there if it's not cool to touch now.

Pinch them both and I guess the noodle is much denser.

Please, don't say it's "hot pink"..
Oren wrote:

Ah, no. The ones I got are sort of light orange colored. Those who are light on their feet - and know the names of more than six colors - would call it "salmon" (and probably buy the pink ones).
Oren wrote:

I'm gonna try Rustoleum's "Camouflage" color. Then no one will notice (I'll have to be careful mowing).
Aside--- Did you know they make camouflage-colored condoms? They're marketed with the slogan "No one can see you coming."

Yep, I've cut them up and used them as backer rod before....much cheaper.

I see those "Noodles" frequently. I can't help but wonder if the original was in fact pipe insulation and some manufacturer found another market for them by changing the color.
I've also seen those tube things. They are not likely to be UV resistant. They will dry and crumble in a few years. But at that price, buy another one.
Know what you mean about the colors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually, they have outlasted some elders at the shady pines retirement village. The 75-80 aged class of swimming flamingos at frequent water ballet classes. New members bring there own noodles.