New Tub, drain problem

Hi All,

I'm replacing my exisitng tub with a whirlpool tub.

My home is on a concrete slab, so I rented a jack hammer, and have dug enough to expose the trap. The old trap is cast iron, and in good shape. Can anyone recommend options on connecting the cast iron drain to my new tub. The trap is about 2' under the floor. Removing the old trap would also mean moving the vent. Is there a solution that would use a flexible connection?

Thanks,

-nick

Reply to
Nicky

You didn't say how far off the connection is. 6" away? 2 feet away?

Moving the trap should not necessitate relocating the vent (unless you have to move backward on the drain).

How about posting an ASCII sketch? Vent V | |new V | |location

----------------U----

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Wish I knew what an ASCII sketch was, I'll give more detail.

Old tub was a standard 30" wide model. Drain is centered 13" from wall, needs to be moved 3" to a 16" center, towards the vent. I'm hoping not to move the trap, as I will need to move the vent as well.

I'm hoping to find a way to leave the trap in place, and connect with a flexible hose, if this is possible, and acceptable. I want to do this right.

I've got the trap exposed, and not sure what to do next.

Thanks,

-nick

Reply to
Nicky

Acceptable and flexible?? Probably not.

Go browse the plumbing aisle at HD/Lowes, etc. Pick up a couple of Fernco or Mission-style drain couplings (rubber) which will fit the existing drain stub out and the tub drain fitting.

If there is room under the tub, get a few PVC pipe fittings to make the bend.

Maybe get some rubber hose at an auto parts store which will permit the shift in position without collapsing the hose.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Take a look at the corrugated connectors in Fernco's catalog. I suspect they have something that will solve your problem.

RB

Nicky wrote:

Reply to
RB

Thanks for replying.

I called a plumber, who will be back tomorrow to install a new trap (PVC). Says it's within code, and gives the three inches I need. Also told me that getting to the trap was the expesive part, his time and parts will be under $100 (wa hoo) Said this is very common in the area I live.

-nick

Reply to
Nicky