New Tool

Well, new to me, anyway. Probably just ignored previous notice because of the prices.

In Harbor Freight's circular promoting their Sidewalk Sale March 8-10, they have:

12" Sliding, Compound, DOUBLE-BEVEL Miter Saw (with laser guide). Regular price: $199.99, web sale price: $169.99, Sidewalk Sale price $119.99!

What's different from a regular or sliding miter saw is, when looking straight at it (not down), the blade will rotate 45d clockwise and counter-clockwise. Check the small pictures at:

Competitor's offerings are in the $400-$600 range (DeWalt $399, Bosch $539, Craftsman $599, Northern Tool $399, Jet $739)

Reply to
HeyBub

I just looked at the reviews listed on the site, It says that there is no blade brake. I'm not sure if I would buy one for that reason. I'm used to sticking my hand down there pretty quick. No brake may mean getting my hand cut.

Reply to
rlz

Good point for the safety conscious. Generally, when I finish a cut I spend a few moments mulling "Crap, that isn't what I wanted!" So my blade has a chance to stop...

Reply to
HeyBub

On 2/22/2013 10:17 AM, SMS wrote: ...

So that lot of double bevel miter saws aren't...

Reply to
dpb

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws they use. When I worked as an electrician on construction sites, one of my jobs was repairing the sliced power cords on the power saws. I let the medics take care of cut dumb asses. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I can't see the ad but my 10" HF has a blade guard. The brake isn't so important. The HF saw is good enough for building the shed out back but for woodworking, not so much. You really can't compare a $100 HF saw to a $500 Bosch (and $600 for a Crapsman is *nuts*).

Reply to
krw

On 2/22/2013 12:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

As is generally so, their sale pricing is competitive...it's available at the moment for $450. I don't know whose saw this one models; generally the Craftsman-labeled stuff pretty much matches one of the other commercial models for features, design, etc...

Reply to
dpb

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120 HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw through.

re: Northern Tool $399

What Northern Tool miter saw are you referring to? Klutch is a Northern Tool "brand" as is NorthStar. The only miter saw I found under those brands is a $149 Klutch.

h%2Bmiter%2Bsaw

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I haven't found any of their WW tools are worth a damn. They may be built by someone else but they are built to their price point and specs. If you're going to pay for decent tools, buy decent tools.

Reply to
krw

Probably, as long as you're not concerned about accuracy. As I said in another post, the HF saws aren't terrible, at all. The problem is that they're a PITA to adjust and they won't hold their accuracy. They're plenty good for framing but compound miters will be painful.

Reply to
krw

On 2/22/2013 3:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

I haven't had anything Craftsman for years; but I've heard they've worked on stuff over recent years from the nadir of (say) 15-20 years ago...

But, they're not where I would go on first look, no...

Reply to
dpb

My 12" HF (orange compound slider model) has a blade guard that automatically retracts when the saw is lowered, so it pretty much never gets in the way.

I like the design, and have been very happy with the saw.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

in the way.

I don't know of a miter saw with a guard that doesn't do that.

My Delta also has a "friction fit" at the top so that I can lift it all the way up and it stays out of the way when I change the blade.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Everything has a place. HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Could be this one:

I probably made a mistake in glancing at the page...

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmmm....I see DeW has a new one (to me, anyway) out, the DWS780. It's $700 and weighs almost 50% more than the DW716 (~50 lb vis a vis roughly

40).
Reply to
dpb

Umm...isn't ~50 only ~25% more than roughly 40?

I guess it depends on how "roughly" you are approximating, but still, 50% is roughly a lot more than 25%. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Typo..the ~50 was intended to be ~60...

Reply to
dpb

Ahhh....makes sense now.

The issue with miter saws is not just the weight, but the bulkiness. At least with the few I've had the pleasure of transporting, there's no comfortable way to hold them. I noticed that a lot of the new saws have built in carrying handles. My old Delta doesn't have one.

I've got mine mounted to a U shaped base made from hardwood to make it easier to clamp down, so I've also got something extra to grab onto when I carry it. It's still a pain, especially when trying to go through doorways with the extensions installed.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nice FUD there, Ed. My HF miter saw cuts square and true, with accuracy only limited to my desire to line up the cut with the blade.

If I was a contractor I'd buy a PRO quality tool, but my limited needs are served just fine with the HF unit.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken