New Tool

Page 1 of 2
Well, new to me, anyway. Probably just ignored previous notice because of the prices.
In Harbor Freight's circular promoting their Sidewalk Sale March 8-10, they have:
12" Sliding, Compound, DOUBLE-BEVEL Miter Saw (with laser guide). Regular price: $199.99, web sale price: $169.99, Sidewalk Sale price $119.99!
What's different from a regular or sliding miter saw is, when looking straight at it (not down), the blade will rotate 45d clockwise and counter-clockwise. Check the small pictures at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-double-bevel-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-69684.html
Competitor's offerings are in the $400-$600 range (DeWalt $399, Bosch $539, Craftsman $599, Northern Tool $399, Jet $739)

ey

9,

I just looked at the reviews listed on the site, It says that there is no blade brake. I'm not sure if I would buy one for that reason. I'm used to sticking my hand down there pretty quick. No brake may mean getting my hand cut.
rlz wrote:

Good point for the safety conscious. Generally, when I finish a cut I spend a few moments mulling "Crap, that isn't what I wanted!" So my blade has a chance to stop...
On 2/22/2013 10:19 AM, rlz wrote:

Many old school carpenters tie the blade guard back on the power saws they use. When I worked as an electrician on construction sites, one of my jobs was repairing the sliced power cords on the power saws. I let the medics take care of cut dumb asses. ^_^
TDD

I can't see the ad but my 10" HF has a blade guard. The brake isn't so important. The HF saw is good enough for building the shed out back but for woodworking, not so much. You really can't compare a $100 HF saw to a $500 Bosch (and $600 for a Crapsman is *nuts*).
On 2/22/2013 12:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

As is generally so, their sale pricing is competitive...it's available at the moment for $450. I don't know whose saw this one models; generally the Craftsman-labeled stuff pretty much matches one of the other commercial models for features, design, etc...

I haven't found any of their WW tools are worth a damn. They may be built by someone else but they are built to their price point and specs. If you're going to pay for decent tools, buy decent tools.
On 2/22/2013 3:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

I haven't had anything Craftsman for years; but I've heard they've worked on stuff over recent years from the nadir of (say) 15-20 years ago...
But, they're not where I would go on first look, no...
On 02/22/2013 10:21 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

My 12" HF (orange compound slider model) has a blade guard that automatically retracts when the saw is lowered, so it pretty much never gets in the way.
I like the design, and have been very happy with the saw.
Jon

I don't know of a miter saw with a guard that doesn't do that.
My Delta also has a "friction fit" at the top so that I can lift it all the way up and it stays out of the way when I change the blade.
On 2/22/2013 10:17 AM, SMS wrote: ...

So that lot of double bevel miter saws aren't...

ey

9,

I've used my Delta miter saw for cutting long lengths of 3/4" steel rod into 1" sections for making round nuts. I have no proof other than my experiences with other HF power tools, but I'm guessing that a $120 HF miter saw would not stand up to the abuse I've put my Delta saw through.
re: Northern Tool $399
What Northern Tool miter saw are you referring to? Klutch is a Northern Tool "brand" as is NorthStar. The only miter saw I found under those brands is a $149 Klutch.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeIdi70&Ntt=klutc h%2Bmiter%2Bsaw
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:14:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Probably, as long as you're not concerned about accuracy. As I said in another post, the HF saws aren't terrible, at all. The problem is that they're a PITA to adjust and they won't hold their accuracy. They're plenty good for framing but compound miters will be painful.
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:14:28 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Everything has a place. HF tools are OK for the guy that will cut a dozen 2 x 4's a year with accuracy needed of ± 1/4". Last him a lifetime.
On 02/22/2013 08:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Nice FUD there, Ed. My HF miter saw cuts square and true, with accuracy only limited to my desire to line up the cut with the blade.
If I was a contractor I'd buy a PRO quality tool, but my limited needs are served just fine with the HF unit.
Jon
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:34:45 -0800, Jon Danniken

Not true. The arm/rail is not perfectly rigid, the bearings are not perfectly true, and the latches have hysterisis. Even if you could set it up perfectly (you can't - there aren't the adjustments), it wouldn't hold them for a cut. Errors add up.

That may be true and for framing, it probably is. They're not so good for finish work, though. Note that I have their 10" SMCS and it's well worth the $100 I paid for it ten years ago. It's no match for my Bosch, though (and the Bosch is far from perfect). Yes, I still use both.

I'm confused. How can a miter saw be off ± 1/4"?
If I draw a line and line up the blade with that line, it's going to be as accurate as my measurement and my eye.
If I use a stop block for multiple cuts, it's going to be as accurate as my ability to position the stop block in the correct position.
Are you saying that the blade of a HF miter saw is going to shift ± 1/4" between cuts?
Here's a tip for shaving just a bit off of a board with a miter saw:
Lower the blade to the lowest position. Slide the workpiece along the table until it exerts a very small amount of sideways pressure on the blade. Holding the wood firmly in position, raise the blade, start the saw and bring it back down. You'll shave off just a minuscule amount of wood.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:26:33 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

I'm talking in generalities, many tools, not just your saw. Yes, a stop block solves most of the problems, but any saw can have a tiny shift from stroke to stroke, but we don't use micrometers for wood working.
I've seen low priced tools that are crap. I've seen low price tools that are identical to the ones selling for 3X the price, the only difference is the nameplate. I've seen low priced tools that do an excellent job. You have to use care in selecting them.

I see what you are saying, however, many woodworkers do use micrometers, as well as dial indicators. I do.
Just some examples...
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/28627
http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/tools/archive/2009/11/23/super-tune-your-tools-with-a-dial-indicator.aspx

DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeIdi70&Ntt=klutch%2Bmiter%2Bsaw
Could be this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326900_200326900
I probably made a mistake in glancing at the page...