New Tool

Page 1 of 2
Hello, I've invented, patented and will be offering a new tool to the public soon. I just thought I'd give this forum the heads up. It's a one foot repeating ruler printed on clear tape that doesn't pull up the surface when removed. The printing on the tape is red and the name of the product is Red Tape.
http://www.redtape1.com
Sincerely,
Chris
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

Very cool product, I can't wait to see some moron on a job site using it to tape something like a cardboard box closed or to repair a cut on an extension cord.
TDD

"Invented" stretching the truth a bit arent you.
ransley wrote:

To whom were you addressing your comment? I'm not the inventor, I was complementing him.
TDD

I think it depends on how you define "invent". For common usage I don't think it's a stretch. Before I made a product I did research tape, measuring devices and all similar inventions. I didn't want to infringe on any existing patents or submit a patent when a similar claim had been made. The patent is pending and my research suggests that most inventions are variations on a theme. I wouldn't go so far as to claim I invented a measuring device where none existed before. In fact, rulers date back prior to 1500 BC (Indus Valley). More accurate forms of measurement exists and people have gotten by without my product without loosing a limb. But there are instances where this simply works better than existing tools. I could not buy this product before I produced it, thus invent really isn't too wild a claim.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Actually, taping a box might be perfect application since many shippers charge by the dimensions or limit the dimensions!

Kind of like those guys who use screwdrivers to hammer tacks. Hehehehe. "If you build it they'll misuse it..."
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

I use my big Kline screwdriver as a chisel and to punch out electrical box knock outs and of course my Kline lineman's pliers as a hammer and a reamer.
TDD

I've used my tablesaw to do nearly everything except slice bread. Sometimes the best tool is the one in your hand at that moment.
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

OH MY GOD! What a chance for a naughty comment.
TDD

Get out of the gutter! You're blocking my periscope.
--
Best regards
Han

With me its the first tool I see that will do the job.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

But it's tough to set a Phillips-head screw with a fern.

a fern is a tool?
according to my wife, you're supposed to use the carving knife for a phillips-head screw; the pointy part goes into the little cross better than the butter knife, which is used to open the paint cans.
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

I think I'll invent a dip stick that has quart marks on it.

If there's a market and you believe in the idea, go for it. :-) If you were taking a jibe I think a better one might have been "I think I'll invent a milk jug with quart marks on it." Or, perhaps, "I think I'll invent a shoe with self guiding laces." hehehehehe.

LOL. Is this a joke? If not, it's pretty darn funny.
"Chrisgiraffe" wrote:

Labelling each and every quarter inch increment with it's fractional description looks a bit clumsy to me. I'm guessing that you put some thought into this, maybe along the premise that it is easier for complete neophyhtes to use, but I think it's a bit overkill for anyone who has ever used a linear distance measuring device.
Jon

alt.home.repair is not an ads newsgroup.

I could use something like this for layout work but its a little wide for my uses.
JImmie