New toilet won't complete flush

I installed a new toilet about a week ago and am having one problem. If I push the lever and release, often the flapper closes before the tank is empty not letting enough water into the bowl to complete the flush. I've tried adjusting the chain and flush lever but can't get past this problem. It seems to me that if the flapper would raise just a little higher, it would work, but the lever only allows so much vertical movement. All help appreciated. Thank you
Steve 41N
It's working the way it is suppose to. It is a feature not a flaw.
Normal flush, just press and release. If you need the extra power flush, you hold the handle down a few seconds.
Don't try to get past it, use it.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Try adjusting the water level a little higher in the tank.
Mikepier wrote:

I've tried it at the recommended level and at the maximum level (+3/8") with no significant change. thanks.
Steve 41N
On 1/22/2005 9:39 AM US(ET), Steve IA took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

that operates the flapper is at the extreme end of the rod. When the flapper is closed, make sure there is just enough slack in the chain to allow the flapper to seal and it is not hanging down on the flapper. Check to see that the handle assembly is tight in the tank hole and is at the correct angle to allow the handle rod to reach its maximum height without hitting the tank lid. Even with all that, the drop in pressure when the water nears the bottom of the tank may not be enough to keep the flapper open in the outrushing water (I may have invented the word 'outrushing').
--
Bill

Had the same problem with a new tiolet kit. Look and see if you have the ajustable type flapper. Some have an ajustment whre you turn the flapper to set how fast the water drains out of the flapper bubble. Kevin

has small holes at the bottom. When you flush the weight of the water in the basket holds the flapper up. When the water drains from the basket, the flapper closer. You can slow the speed of the flapper closing by inserting pegs into some of the holes to make the water drain out more slowly. It costs around $5 and should solve your problem.
--
Peace,
BobJ

first, check to see if more vertical movement would indeed help it. just lift the flapper by the chain and see what happens. if its just a matter of not getting enough lift, bend the rod attached to the lever down a bit and shorten the chain. voila, more lift.
if its just closing too fast i think others have covered that territory.
randy