New toilet leaks between

L > I don't understand why my new toilet leaks between the tank and the bowl L > (Crane Plumbing toilet). I put in the foam seal on the proper L > orientation, I tightened the two bolts (with rubber washers) evenly. I

Different brand but we found flipping the rubber washers over (upside down from the orientation in the instructions) solved our leakage.

  • Writing Rules: Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
Reply to
barry martin

This could be a little off the topic, but I had a leaky (very slow leak) flush valve with TWO different new toilets. Depending on the configuration, it can seem like the leak is around the tank bolts when it's really the flush valve. One of the toilets was cheap and one was a high-end brand. Technical support said a porcelain burr might have kept the flush valve at the bottom of the tank from seating (clamping) properly and that the foam rubber ring IS NOT A SEAL, but rather only deflects splashing when flushed. The ring won't stop leakage from the seam of the flush valve.

In both cases, the solution was to remove the tank and dry it out with a hair dryer completely and apply GE Silicone II sealant around any possible leakage seams of the flush valve (including threads) outside the tank, and if you can reach, inside the tank too.

Just be sure you don't accidently get any sealant where the flapper hits.

Reply to
roo