new tel jack with dsl

My current setup is as follows:

I have 2 lines coming into the home. There are 2 jacks in the bedroom, 1 for each line. Jack 1 (line 1) has the red and green wires attached to the screws. The yellow and black wires seem to be connected to the back of jack 2 (line 2). Jack 2 has the red and green attached to the screws. Jack 1 is connected by a cable to the main box in the closet.

I also have a jack 3 (with line 2) at my computer. That jack is attached to a separate cable than Jack 1 is attached to and starts from the same box in the closet as Jack 1 starts. My ADSL connection is attached to jack 3.

What I want to do, without having to pay $200 for the telco to do it, is have a jack 4 at my computer with line 1. I opened the jack 3 and noticed that the red and green wires are attached to the screws, and the yellow and black wires are connected to the ADSL box right next to jack 3. My guess from the reading I've done is that I cannot use the jack 3 wiring to get a connection to line 1 (as I have in my bedroom) since the ADSL connection is using the yeloow/black set of wires. Hopefully, I gave enough of a description that somebody can confirm this and possibly offer alternatives?

One other thing, the ADSL connection with jack 3 was made a year or two after the 3 jacks were initially installed.

Barry

Reply to
Barry

This would make sense. The red & green connected to the screws go to the two center "pins" in the modular connector. What they've done is wire your Jack 2 as a single line jack.

Makes sense too.

It all makes sense. First question: do you need *both* line 1 and line 2 available on jack 3?? If not you could swap line 2 for line 1, but something tells me that's not an option.

If so, then it sure sounds like you need to run another or different piece of wire. You could replace the 2-pair going from the closet to jack 3 with a piece of Cat-5 network cable, which would give you 4 pairs, 1 more than you need. Or if the wire is all stapled in place you could just run a 2nd 2-pair along side of it. But in any case it sounds like the existing wire is totally full, no room to expand there.

Again, makes sense. Whoever installed the ADSL (Assuming that was the last added?) used the available 2nd pair on the wire carrying your single line to jack 3. That's the whole idea, from an installer's viewpoint.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

So, unless your wiring is switched around somewhere and the color coding is messed up, DSL is on line 2.

Why not? R/G is line 1 and your DSL is on line two.

BTW, what do you have connected to line 2 in the bedroom? If anything is attached it should have a DSL filter in it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

My adsl line IS my main phone line. Nothing was added or changed to get ADSL from SBC. They just sent a box of filters with the modem. I have attached filters to all the phones in the house, but no wiring changes were necessary.

To protect my ADSL line from interference and to insure a great connection, I did some modifications to my house wiring.

I ran new Cat 5 network cable from my ADSL modem to the outside box. I connected directly to the lugs coming from the ground bypasing the plugin in the outside box. I recommend you keep that in mind when you start adding phone lines in your house. But, yes, you can do it without calling the tech, but you may need to run a second line.

Reply to
PJX

Do you have two phone #s, one for each line?

All 4-wire phone cables can handle two lines. The first line (R/G) goes to the inside pins of the RJ-11 jack. The second line (B/Y) goes to the next outside pins on the RJ-11. Of course, unless you have a multi-line phone, the B/Y wires need to be connected to the inside pins on the "2nd line" jack for a standard phone to work.

DSL can run either on an existing line (requires filters), or it could be on it's own line.

You should draw a picture for yourself show> My current setup is as follows:

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Yes, I need both lines at my computer. I wonder how the telco would have installed the ADSL if I originally had jack 3 setup with both lines.

Barry

Reply to
Barry

How can I tell if when jack 3 was originally installed the telco person brought both lines to that jack? If that ends up being the case, are you saying that the yellow/black wires are the ones currently activated in jack 3 (for line 2 and ADSL) and that I can activate the red/green wires by connecting them?

A telephone is attached to line 2 in the bedroom, with no DSL filter. I haven't had a problem at all but will look into adding a filter.

Barry

Reply to
Barry

:-) No magic wands for them either, they would have needed to run another piece of wire.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Switch the lines (i.e disconnect Y/B and connect R/G) and then see if you get a dial tone. Can you open the box in the closet to check for a physical connection?

Yes.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I do have 2 phone numbers, one for each line.

I believe my DSL setup is that it is running on its own line. That was what I was told by the Covad technician when it was installed. Earthlink also confirmed this when I asked them. That's also what it looks like in the closet where the DSL box is.

So, if the above is true am I correct in stating that at jack 3 two lines are already being used; one line for tel #2 and one line for DSL and if that is the case I need new wiring from the closet?

Barry

Reply to
Barry

All 100% correct, based on what you've described of the wiring.

It is, yes, yes. It IS the case, yes. Either a 2nd run of common indoor 2-pair phone wire (the round gray stuff, not the flat like goes between modular connectors) *OR* replace the existing 2-pair with a piece of Cat 5 network cable, which has 4 pairs.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Okay, let me ask this question. We have determined that jack 3 already has all 4 wires being used; 1 set of wires for line 2 and one set for the DSL line. If I wanted to try Verizon DSL service on line

2 (using a self install kit from Verizon) at jack 3 would it interfere with my current DSL setup at jack 3?
Reply to
Barry

Personally, I have on idea, don't know that much about DSL. I'm sure somebody else will, this being Usenet and all lol.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz