New Stove and Dishwasher

Page 1 of 2

We're starting to update our kitchen, since it's over 20 years old. We're going to start with a new electric stove and dishwasher. Lowes is having a big sale this weekend. I'm going to install the stove, but I'm not comfortable doing the dishwasher.
The in thing now is stainless steel. Please look in your crystal ball. How long is SS going to be in style?
More importantly, any recommendations or warnings about which appliances we should or should not buy?
mcp6453 wrote:

Stainless Steel has always been in style - in commercial kitchens - How much longer commercial style kitchens will be in style in residences is a good question, however since SS is prety neutral, and similar to chrome has been in style in residences for a long time, I'd say that SS appliances should be fine for another 20 years. Indeed with neutral appliances like SS you can redo counters and cabinets and completely change the look of a kitchen while keeping those same appliances.

Installing a stainless steel dishwasher is no different than installing any dishwasher. Turn off the water and electricity before removing the old one. It is usually held in pace by two screws on the top front facing up into the bottom of the counter top. remove these two screws and the dishwasher should be movable. Undo the electric and the water supply and drain and slide the old unit out, slide the new unit in and reconnect the lectric and water and drain, raise/lower the new unit until it fits up against the countertop with the same altitude as the ole unit. Put the two screws into the bottom of the countertop and turn the water and electric on, check for leaks and enjoy. The front kickplate is the first thing to remove and the last thing to replace.

...and don't throw the paper schematic away you find behind it.

Stick to white. Always possible to get that colour new or used. Also easier to shop around for a good price if everything white.
I heard rumors that the coming thing in appliances will be a copper looking color. I think it will be called "coppertone.' Other rumors are that the next fad will be a yellowish color called "Harvest Gold". Who knows. Larry
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 21:41:54 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

mmmmmm. . . I love guacamole-- do you think they'll ever come up with a Guacamole colored appliance?
I remember looking at 1940's Popular Science/Mechanics magazines in the 60's and thinking that we'd come a long way in the home decor world in 20 years. Now, looking back, I like the 40's look better.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Magic Chef made a gas range in the thirties that was gorgeous....I'd love to have one of those. I'm ready for a car with no electronics...they are just junk that adds cost and complexity. I replaced the window motors on my Buick once, and they are shot. Can't go through the drive-through at the bank. My engine light comes on because my speedometer doesn't work; my internal speedometer works pretty well, within 1-2 mph :o)

Both my rear window on my LeSabre are held up with a piece of wood bracing. The rest of the car is just falling apart too. I'll never buy another Buick given my experience with the last two. The cruise control switch is held "on" by jamming a toothpick next to the button.. Great car for a year or so, but I expect more for $33,000.
(Lp1331 1p1331)

They do have sour cream colored appliances so hang on, they just may do it as soon as 1965 comes back.

That's what we said about harvest gold just a few years ago... A decade is about forever in the home fashion world. With unemployment over 10% now, SS and $60 a square foot countertops will give way to another more spartan trend. Whirlpool's black appliances may be the harbinger.
Joe

Stainless steel has to be cleaned alot , fingerprints and smuges show, its not my type of appliance.
mcp6453 wrote:

Installing a diswasher is not much more complicated than a stove. You've got to hook up three things instead of just one:
* Water * Electricity * Drain
In doing so, it might be prudent to upgrade the connections while you're under there. That is, install a valve on the hot water inlet instead of a direct connect and an outlet/plug on the electric supply.
These will make future maintenance easier.
Disclaimer--- The hard part is coordinating the activities of the various specialty workers (plumbers and licensed electricians), plus obtaining all the necessary permits, plans, inspections, and architectural drawings. A check of your homeowner's policy is not out of the question.
And wear eye protection.

We had the same question when we did a remodel/room addition a few years ago. We decided to go with the old 'basic white' for our situation. The home was built in the 1940s and while we've updated and modernized things, we've tried to maintain the original style. Stainless seemed to go against that trend, so we went with white. I've no regrets to this point. SS will eventually go out of style just like the gold and green of the 1970s, and the black of the 80s & 90s. But white has lived on throughout!

We chose white as well...Timeless and easy to match if something goes down and needs replacing in a few years....

OK
Play it safe and go back to basics.
http://www.silive.com/homegarden/interiordesign/index.ssf/2008/10/kitchens_looking_back_to_befor.html

I'd stay away from Norges and wringer washers.

I was just at Lowes looking for a new dishwasher. There is a rebate when you buy more than one, but one is all I need. Nobody knows how long SS will be in vogue (I never knew it was). Try to keep your applicances the same color, a neutral color such as black or white works well.
The "hot" feature on dishwashers is hidden controls and a large handle in front. Hard to believe a few are priced over $800 and, really, you get vary little value paying that much. You can get a quieter washer for cheap by lining the surrounding with thick cotton/poly batting.
I like Bosch for the quality. KitchenAid or Whirlpool are perhaps better than average. GE and Kenmore are OK. Probably avoid Korean/China stuff, though.
I have heard (in here, from among others, hallerb) that Bosch dishwashers do a great job of cleaning, and are so quiet you can barely tell if they are running with your ear almost against them, but they are exteremely unreliable. I don't remember exactly what problems they had, but they were numerous. Larry

My local dealer no longer has them on the floor. Too many service calls. When they run, the performance is very good, they just break too often he says.

I guess Consumer Reports got it wrong then? Bosch has the best repair record in dishwashers. Recently I compared many brands, and Bosch looks and feels like better construction than the other brands. Top-rated energy effeciency too.