New Stihl Chainsaw

Page 2 of 4

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:11:06 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

My brother, (the only one not named Oren) never hauled a saw up a tree when he climbed. He took a rope instead. Tossed it over a branch, so when he was in place I tied the saw on the rope and hoisted it to him.
Hanging from the side a tall tree ... have sharp *spurs*. Drop the saw and I have it on a rope.
Used the same rope method to lower branches to the ground, to prevent hitting a roof or such.
The ground man is also in danger...

Most climbers pull the saw up on a rope. You still want a smaller, light, but still powerful saw if you're up in a tree.
Oren wrote:

Yes, while I do have a set of tree gaffs and climbing gear, any real tree work around my place is an excuse to rent an aerial lift for the day. So much easier to work from a lift and if need be stack a few branches in the platform with you and then bring them down or over to a safe drop zone.

Yes you are right. Four distinct "grades", then 2 "other" kinds.
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws /
Steve Barker wrote:

Actually there are 4 distinct "grades" labeled as:
Occasional Use Chain Saws, for around your home.
Mid-Range Chain Saws, for more than just around the home
Professional Use Chain Saws, for well professionals
Tree Service Chain Saws
And two more categories...
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws /

I know this for sure: when I watch American Loggers, I see some chainsaws there that I have never ever seen before in any store no matter how big. I wonder where they buy their stuff.
And, whoo, the way the chips fly with those puppies. I'd be there all day with my little 18 incher, and that would be with a new blade.
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

They buy their saws from professional power equipment dealers, not big box stores. The Shindaiwa products I mentioned are not available in big box stores either.

I think the biggest one I saw was a Stihl 090 and you for sure aren't going to see a dealer stock a high priced saw like that. He wouldn't sell one in a couple years. Special order? Sure.
Harry K

For looonngg bars there are the "two power head"adaptations. Power head on both ends, two operators.
Harry K
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:15:02 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

No such thing. It would be nearly impossible to sync the speed of the two heads.
Vinny From NYC wrote:

Not much logging in NYC, is there Vinny? http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=two+man+chainsaw&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Thanks. I was trying to think of a good search string but never considered "two man".
Harry K
wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

Was it Dick Martin who used to speak about the fanorton? It is a twenty foot musical device played by blowing into both ends at the same time, but must be played by only one musician.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do think it was Dick Martin on Laugh-In. There should be enough old farts around for someone to remember this. I googled until I was dizzy and didn't come up with anything.
Steve, a member of the Old Farts Club, but I lost my membership card and forgot when and where the meetings are ............
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com

I am such a long time member of the old-farts club my card has expired. Can't say I ever saw that skit but I missed a whole bunch of that show due to being overseas during most of its run.
Harry K
wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=two+man+chainsaw&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
"Saw" plenty of links to ones with handles at the other end, none with a power head. However....
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2008/09/dolmette-motorcyle-is-powered-by-24-dolmar-chainsaw-engines/
wrote Re Re: New Stihl Chainsaw:

Thanks for the link. I see lots of two "man" saws, but no two "power head" saws.
I stand by my comment.

Jazuss. Must be blind too.
Harry K

Seems you are right - they are arara avis. I recall seeing a two- engine saw picture at work back when there was still the 'big timber', also saw a chainsaw mill picture running two engines.
You still need to explain why a multi engine dragster or go-kart work but a chainswa one can't. I guess it is a case of 'ignorance is bliss"
Harry K
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:07:08 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

With the dragster, there is a very expensive "combiner" that combines the output of both engines into one output. Worth the money in a expensive competition machine. I don't know how they would do it on a go-kart.
On a chain saw, two engines pulling on one chain, two men eight feet apart?? I have to see it to believe it.
So far I haven't seen it.

Here ya go
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=104391&d=1248113214
Notice there is no "combiner" and I do not recall ever seeing a picture showing a "combiner" between the engines in a multi engine dragster. They are usually coupled nose to tail. Feel free to post a link to one.
BTW a "combiner" would more properly be known as a "differential".
Harry K