New Stihl Chainsaw

??? Care to expand on that? Put switch on choke, pull 3 or 4 times, take choke off, pull 1 or 2 - running. Exactly the same as every other brand I have ran over the past 30 years. Mac/Homey/Poulan/Stihl/ Husky

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Well, 30 years ago was jusst about the last years that Mac built real saws. They used to be the King of the Hill in the woods.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Look at Echo, their new motors have the longest ratings of engine life, better than Sthil, and less maintenance by those I see using them and my dealer that also sells Sthil but recommends Echo, My Sthil has been repaired none of my Echos have needed repairs, this year I will buy a few more Echos.

Reply to
ransley

Some of the smaller expensive saws are extra light weight. So you can take them up a tree if you're a climber. I forgot the model but I'm pretty sure stihl makes one for using up in a tree. When you're on the side of a tree in spikes you want light.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Guess I'll keep mine :-) It's a bit heavy if you have to use it for a while but with a sharp chain it's eats through a 12" tree log in seconds.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

True but the point was the erroneous claim that there is only one grade of Stihl.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Actually there are 4 distinct "grades" labeled as:

Occasional Use Chain Saws, for around your home.

Mid-Range Chain Saws, for more than just around the home

Professional Use Chain Saws, for well professionals

Tree Service Chain Saws

And two more categories...

Tony

I've found the chain saw file and guide at Lows and Wall Mart very easy to use and can sharpen a chain in about 5 minutes while on the saw.

Reply to
Tony

That sucks! Honestly, my 10 or so year old crapsman most always starts in 1 or 2 pulls, even with 6 month old gasoline. (A lot more when I forget to turn it on and pull the choke!) I must admit it's been a very reliable piece of crap!

Reply to
Tony

Yes you are right. Four distinct "grades", then 2 "other" kinds.

Tony

It is all about the purpose (intended use). McCulluch's and Echo's are great, durable, thrash 'n' throw saws for short duration use and construction sites. The higher end *Logging* saws are the ticket if you intend to do a lot of all day cutting where pure balls and speed of cut are a blessing (both falling and bucking).

A 36 inch, high end saw is a bit much for occasional limb cutting and such, but you'll love it when you are plowing through an area and can fell a 12" dia. tree in 30 seconds, then limb the thing without much bending over, then come back and cut to length in

20 second cuts.
Reply to
[SMF]

Exactly. Stihl says so right on their website... Three grades of saws:

  1. Occasional Use
  2. Midrange
  3. Professional
Reply to
mkirsch1

My brother, (the only one not named Oren) never hauled a saw up a tree when he climbed. He took a rope instead. Tossed it over a branch, so when he was in place I tied the saw on the rope and hoisted it to him.

Hanging from the side a tall tree ... have sharp *spurs*. Drop the saw and I have it on a rope.

Used the same rope method to lower branches to the ground, to prevent hitting a roof or such.

The ground man is also in danger...

Reply to
Oren

Most climbers pull the saw up on a rope. You still want a smaller, light, but still powerful saw if you're up in a tree.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I know this for sure: when I watch American Loggers, I see some chainsaws there that I have never ever seen before in any store no matter how big. I wonder where they buy their stuff.

And, whoo, the way the chips fly with those puppies. I'd be there all day with my little 18 incher, and that would be with a new blade.

Steve

Visit my blog at

Steve B

They buy their saws from professional power equipment dealers, not big box stores. The Shindaiwa products I mentioned are not available in big box stores either.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, while I do have a set of tree gaffs and climbing gear, any real tree work around my place is an excuse to rent an aerial lift for the day. So much easier to work from a lift and if need be stack a few branches in the platform with you and then bring them down or over to a safe drop zone.

Reply to
Pete C.

wrote:

Bought under the mongomery

whole bunch of

ones

need. You won't regret a little extra power.

name in many years. One brother made a

retired. When you run it as few times as I do, by the next year the formula to start it has been forgotten. I want to flip a switch and start it.

Reply to
Dymphna

I think the biggest one I saw was a Stihl 090 and you for sure aren't going to see a dealer stock a high priced saw like that. He wouldn't sell one in a couple years. Special order? Sure.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

For looonngg bars there are the "two power head"adaptations. Power head on both ends, two operators.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K