New Small Engine Carburetor Lacks Port for Crankcase Breather Hose

I was lucky to find a carburetor that would fit a very old Tecumseh engine, but it lacks a port for the crankcase breather hose, which the original one had. Can I retrofit a port on the air filter bell? Or, in general, can I retrofit a port anywhere as long as the hose opening is in contact with filtered air? What will happen if I close off the air breather hose altogether? Is this an option? Help is very much appreciated! Thank you! Frank

Question 1, yes
Question 3, no
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----
I assume the port should be drilled on the carburetor side of the air filter, not outside the filter, as the port on the original carb was just inside the choke vane. One respondent said that was incorrect design because it would allow oil to be drawn through the carb, thus fouling the plug and making the engine smoke. May I have clarification on this? Thanks for your help! Frank