New Sewer System: Grinder pump placement

A municipal waste system is being installed. It is a pressurized system and grinder pumps are being installed for each home. The contractor will place the pump where I want it. I have no model/part # for the pump, but its a 5' deep by 3' diameter can with a 3' dia "manhole cover" on top.

My responsibility is for the plumbing upto the pump, plus providing power to the unit ( 220v,30A ). The town/contractor is providing an electrician for the electrical hookup to my panel.

Excavation to run my waste line to the pump runs appx $20/ft hereabouts. I can have the contractor place the pump in my driveway beneath my kitchen window, and dig 2' into the foundation myself. What I dont know is if grinder pumps stink. If so I'll have it dropped 20' away and dig, and pay. I'm on a tight budget. Are they "scentless" on a hot summer day? Whats a reasonable distance from a window? 1" 1' 10' 100'?

Mike D

Reply to
mpdsville1

I had a septic system with a submersible pump that did not smell at all even though its cover was at grade level.

Reply to
Art

Where I used to work, we had a duplex grinder pump installed inside the building, because we were below the municipal sewer line. The only problem was the business upstairs from us. The ladies there wuold throw their sanitary napkins in the toilets. The grinder pumps could not handle them. The pumps had to be pulled periodically. They only stank when pulled out for maintenance. Be careful what you put down the sewer, and you shouldn't have any problems with odors, no matter where you put the pumps. If you are going to put junk down the sewer, like paper towels ans such, put the pump further away from the house so that you don't get the stink during the maintenance that will result.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch