New Schlage locks

I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that allows you to change out the pins yourself.
He said they were "un-pickable."
If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.
Andy

I have all Kwikset Smartkeys, and love them. I think Schlage saw them and made these to compete. The Smartkeys are just a shim you put in, and changing the lock is a snap. No pins or disassembly required. You can change the key with the knobset on the door. Not sure how fumblefingers would handle the pin exchange, and how many pins one would have to have on hand. Write back when you can provide cites and adequate information.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

That's about one of the absolute worst locks from a security perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9YNcnegjY

Jon
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 00:20:31 -0800 (PST), Andy

When I lived in NY and always had 3 roommates, who came and went, I traded locks with a friend of mine they didn't know. I really only did this once or twice, because only one of my many roommates was untrustworthy (not counting the teen-ager from a wealthy family. He was a jerk -- he sprayed the walls in his room with shaving cream after I told him he couldn't leave with no notice for Christmas, and come back afterwards without paying for the three weeks he was gone -- but probably wouldn't steal anything.)
There was also the ditz Playboy Bunny (I kid you not) who was always burning or breaking something, but she never did anything dishonest.
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:34:17 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

Quite a few around here and more every day. You get a break on your $3000 a year hurricane insurance.
On Nov 30, 1:57am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And you think I can't open one with a couple 3 foot crowbars?
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 04:53:38 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

I'm sure you can. Then the question becomes, how much time are you going to spend and how much noise are you going to make. "Neighborhood watch" is an armed response here.
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:48:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Good steel lined door frames and doors/deadbolts to resist kicking in is as far as I'd go if I was concerned about home invaders. That and a 12 gauge Remington auto. If I was concerned about burglars I'd put in an alarm system with sirens. Seems to deter car thieves. You could probably do that cheap with a motion detector system. Of course all that would happen after the first burglary, and no more burglary attempts would ever happen again. At least not until I stopped maintaining/testing the alarm system.
--Vic
On Nov 30, 11:48am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Prying open a window is a pretty quiet event generally. You just slowly apply pressure until the latch(es) give or pull out. A minute or two tops. Practically all houses have windows that are in much better location for breaking in than the front door.

That's where a German Shepherd comes in real handy. :-)
Andy