New scam?

Page 3 of 4

--WebTV-Mail-26560-20078 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
"Many news servers will not propagate messages with HTML or images in them. That's another REALLY good reason to post in plain text ONLY. By posting in HTML, or including images, you guarantee that far fewer people will ever see your post."
Obviously I do not appreciate the problems of "news servers", I use WEBTV or Google.
To try to see the problem(s) I went and looked at my posts on my laptop (a little late I would agree).
The posts show the body in yellow on white background (not light yellow so it is readable, maybe orange?) with the Sig in black/white.
If I put the curser on the first word and holding the left mouse key, drag the curser to the bottom of the message, it becomes black/white.
So the light yellow is coming from the "news reader(s)". If they will not download my posts at all, no problem, I seem to get all the responses I can handle. LOL
--WebTV-Mail-26560-20078 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-26560-20078--
"Many news servers will not propagate messages with HTML or images in them. That's another REALLY good reason to post in plain text ONLY. By posting in HTML, or including images, you guarantee that far fewer people will ever see your post."
Obviously I do not appreciate the problems of "news servers", I use WEBTV or Google.
To try to see the problem(s) I went and looked at my posts on my laptop (a little late I would agree).
The posts show the body in yellow on white background (not light yellow so it is readable, maybe orange?) with the Sig in black/white.
If I put the curser on the first word and holding the left mouse key, drag the curser to the bottom of the message, it becomes black/white.
So the light yellow is coming from the "news reader(s)". If they will not download my posts at all, no problem, I seem to get all the responses I can handle. LOL
Yabbut, your ootsie cutesie approach is aggravating. It will cost you readers. Most who see colored text will killfile you. Did you ever think that some people may be color blind, and have great difficulty reading your important posts? I didn't think so. Many have their filters set so that ANY HTML that comes in is not displayed. Get with the program, Jack. Use plain text and get a real computer.
Steve

He won't. He's getting far more attention this way.
In

If you are posting HERE, you are posting on a news server, regardless of the tool you use to get here. Try an actuall newsreader (or even OE) and you'll see how much faster and easier it is to read the posts. WebTV and Google, regardless of what YOU write in, send the message to this and any usenet group as TEXT, not HTML, with possible an attachment, which some groups will allow. Many groups will strip off attachments too, so - Plain Text is the way to go.

I don't know what you looked at, and you didn't say, but an HTML message on a plain text reader can be almost impossible to read. For example, an HTML post to a Plain Text newsreader will display thusly: ---------- Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding
--_000_E9FE96ED32E77046983D66BC3D1C578001FBCCAC0F49P1EC2EVS03H_-- ------------- That's the body of an HTML e-mail my daughter sent me. Easy to read, isn't it? That's exactly what you'd get on the screen of some text only newsreaders, not all.

Not surprising; with an ALT-Shift-H I can temporarily switch to HTML view if I know the message is from a trusted source and look at it as it was intended. But if it's not from a trusted source then it's not worth switching modes to read because who knows what malware may lurk within it? It's not a good idea from a Security standpoint to read anything in 8-bit format because those can contain executable code that could run on your computer(malware).

I never killfile; it's not that hard to just skip a message if I don't want to read it. And besides, that doesn't stop the posts from coming up buried in threads either. In the long run it's of no value in 99% of the cases. Do enough plonks and you'll begin to see your displays slowing down as it goes thru the long list of names before it decides it can display each one. It takes a lot of plonks to noticeably slow you down, but I've seen machines with that problem.
Did you ever think that some people may be

That's too strong; there's not a lot wrong with webTV and the price is often right. Often though, another thing not useing Plain Text will get you is a lot of flames wasting your time just because you're too obstinate to adhere to the customs and concensus of the newsgroups. RFC 1855 and FYI 28 will explain it pretty well to anyone who wants to look them up.
HTH,
Twayne`

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:59:05 -0700, "Steve B"

Here's another post of yours, Jack, that I didn't get. I only see Steve's quoting of it. That makes 3 I know of, and looking at the whole thread, I've only gotten one of yours.
I read another ng with a woman who uses webtv and afaik, i get all her posts. I don't see them quoted when I never saw the original. But she doesn't have a sig. Maybe that's the difference.

That's this time. What if you want to talk about something that fewer people want to talk about. Or in a newsgroup with fewer readers. AHR is one of the busiest ng on Usenet.

People have suggested that woman get a real computer, but she is sick in some way and says she can't handle anymore technology. She may be the one who always posts in capitals and doesn't spell well, not I think because she can't spell but because her hands don't work well. For all those reasons, people just accept her posts the way they are. But I think they have no html.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 03:02:03 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

That may well be true. It's true in my experience, but that just makes her an exception.

I odn't think they are more genteel. I think too few peole know about useent, which is better than any other such mediium in so many ways.
We should advertise it, so it's as well known as the web and mailing lists are.
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:09:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

Apparently, the above was quoted, but your program didn't mark it as quoted. Not a good thing.

Neither a good choice.

What newsreader?

That's text selection.

Unlikely, unless that programmer was making some really bad decisions.

There's a HTML tag in your posts. It says "orange". Perhaps that looks light yellow to some people. Anyway, that's a bad color combination and it's in your posts. It looks like some newsreaders (and not others) correct that condition. It wools be better to not specify colors, and let individual users choose. Few (if any) would choose yellow on white.
Jack wrote:

No, it becomes "selected" and the color of that is whatever the user has set up for selected items.

No, it is coming from your settings.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I read: "I'm 56 years old, and a computer virgin."
Steve B wrote:

:)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Jack wrote:

If it's still starting the car, it's good. that's a duh. you can't measure CCA in the field. The battery should be able to hold a load of half the CCA without dropping below 9.6 volts for 15 seconds. That's the closest you can come to actually measuring the CCA. But, bottom line, if it's starting the car, why would you worry about it?
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:31:07 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack)wrote:

Full charge 2.10 - 2.13 vdc/cell x 6 @ 70F
Buy a Hydrometer and measure the SG of each cell. That will tell you the charge state of the battery by cell. Specific gravity of properly charged electrolyte is about 1.28 or a 36% acid 64% water mix.
If your battery has not been:
A. Deeply cycled or discharged fully multiple times. B. Stored without a full charge and suffered Sulfation. C. Overcharged.
And is 5 years old or less it is probably ok. Take your vehicle to an auto parts store that offers a free in car diagnosis of the charging system. Many like Pep Boys, Autozone, Napa will do this.
The battery in my 96 Honda Accord is going on 9 years old and a recent check found it still in good electrical condition. The Honda is my #2 vehicle and sometimes goes a few weeks or so without a start. I keep a 1 amp maintenance charger on it so that's probably the reason it's been trouble-free.
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)
A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600 (CCA is cold cranking amps)
I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new battery?
Did they say the air in your tires needed changing, too, and that they have a special on that this week? Whenever the battery falls to that level, it is for sure the air in the tires needs changing, too.
Steve
Jack wrote:

I ran into that.
They did a valid load test with a valid tester. However the test is based on the CCA rating of the battery (a value that they enter). The CCA entered was not the rating for my battery. GIGO.
May not be the same as what you saw.
--
bud--

Statistics can be found to support any conclusion.
On Apr 15, 7:31pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

www.batteryuniversity.com will teach you all you need to know about how to charge any battery and what kills them in charging and maintenance of voltage.
On Apr 15, 5:31pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

Dunno if this has been mentioned, but one of the traditional automotive cams is dropping the pan on your tranny and showing you all the "deadly" metal particles that means you need a new tranny NOW. They almost got me on that one years ago, but a friend steered me right.

We don't use voltage; 12.57 volts or anything else to measure if a battery has remaining capacity. In fact voltage is a very poor way to determine the capacity of a battery. Especially lead/acid 'storage' batteries; although voltage may be of some use with the cheap small disposable 'primary' batteries (AA, C, D etc.) used for flashlights etc.
There are some voltage numbers that MIGHT be of some use after a disconnected battery has been left standing for 24 hours without charging or use. But to test voltage of the battery in a car that has just been driven (to the oil change location) a short while before probably meaningless.
We recently had to change the battery in a friend's Toyota that was 13 years old. Before and after changing the battery we tested the charging voltage which was and should be in the range of 13.8 to 14 volts (or little higher with some modern cars) AFTER STARTING AND WHILE THE ENGINE IS RUNNING.
The 8+ year old battery in my Nissan pickup is working fine, starts every time, in this cold climate. In fact 'hot' climates often worse on batteries.
And even if the battery HAD only 388 ampere hours capacity remaining of the original rating of 600, that's still 65% and if that is starting the car correctly no neeed IMO to change it! The battery will probably finally die after some 10 to 12 years; unless vehicle is being used as a taxi or delivery vehicle that requires frequent starting many times during each day.
--WebTV-Mail-407-11970 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
[...]
WOW back to the subject! I think everone agrees it's a scam.
Thanks
--WebTV-Mail-407-11970 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-407-11970--