New scam?

Page 1 of 4

--WebTV-Mail-4447-3732 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Oil change places used to come out and show you that your power steering fluid is dirty and you need to replace it. (scam)
A new one MIGHT be the "replace battery" scam? They show you your battery measures: volts = 12.57V Measure CCA = 388 and Rating CCA = 600 (CCA is cold cranking amps)
I know the 12.57 is OK. Can anyone tell me if 388/600 calls for a new battery?
--WebTV-Mail-4447-3732 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-4447-3732--
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 15, 7:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

How do you "know" 12.57 is ok. What is 100% charge
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 15, 8:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

Even if the charge is bad it doesnt mean you need a new battery. Your alternator could be bad and I dont think I would allow the guys down at the oil change pit to diagnois this.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 15, 7:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack) wrote:

12.45 is 75% 12.65- 12.8 is full charge so if your battery tested 12.57 is near 90% and not fully charged indicating something is wrong. it could be just dirty connections or a bad ground but you need a pro to look it over not spiffy boob. If the caps can be removed testing each cell is an important test. I dont think spiffy will do a proper load test and look up the proper charts to figure it all out or look for the easy fix since a new battery is all they want to sell. I looked at buying wiper blades from them but it was an off brand with no warranty against streaking, only tearing, so it is a worthless warranty on an unknown blade and I passed. Most any good local mechanic does this all for free or a very small fee, but your battery is not 100% and is sulfating from being under charged, get a pro to do it right for you.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 04:24:01 -0700 (PDT), ransley

How long did they have the interior lights and headlights on before taking that bogus reading?
I was at a big name oil change place recently and the guy came into the waiting room to show me how dirty my air filetr and cabin filter were. The cabin filter was FILTHY. Two problems... It was not even close to being the correct filter for my car, and I HAD REMOVED THE CABIN FILTER long ago. I often park at a marina with the windows rolled down in the summer, so a cabin dust filter is completely useless.
Add pictures here
✖
"Jack" wrote in message

Does your battery start your car?
If it works, don't fix it!
If your battery gets to the point where it will not start your car, THEN do some troubleshooting to find the problem which might be something other than the battery.
Add pictures here
✖
Sounds like a scam, to me. I'm with you, Bill. Cleaning the terminals and grease the terminals is a good idea. Ideally, I like to replace a vehicle battery after 4 years, cause that's how long mine typically last (4 years, and a couple months). I magic marker the purchase date on the battery itself.
I've replaced my own power steering fluid with a squeeze bulb, get as much as I can, and put fresh transmission fluid in its place. Do it again in a week or so, to get what dirty fluid was trapped in the lines. Other than a leaky hose losing fluid, dirty steering fluid has never troubled me or any of my vehicles.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My battery is 9+yrs ('01 Buick), a Delco under the back seat.
Add pictures here
✖

I bought an '84 Buick used in '91. Six years later, the battery failed. When I removed it, I discovered that it was the *original* battery: the date code stamped into the case showed it was made in November '83.
That was a Delco too.
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 16, 7:56 am, "Stormin Mormon"

re: "If your battery gets to the point where it will not start your car, THEN do some troubleshooting to find the problem"
Hopefully that point will be in your driveway on a lazy Saturday morning, and not when your wife or daughter has the car and can't start it in a poorly lit parking lot late at night.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 04:34:15 -0700, "Bill"

Yes, that's the right standard.

Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

No, because I can't read your damn light yellow type. I *could* if I wanted to set "read all messages in plain text" but I don't.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Perhaps this wouldn't be a problem for you if you did either of the following sensible things: 1) Use a real news client instead of Outhouse Express 2) Killfile anything coming from webtv.net on the grounds that only the terminally clueless use webtv anyway
Add pictures here
✖
--WebTV-Mail-26958-11893 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com
Best advice I have heard. Why continue to aggravate yourself.
--WebTV-Mail-26958-11893 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-26958-11893--
Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

I read - skim, actually - maybe 8 newsgroups. OE works just fine.

That would work :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Jack wrote:

Do you mean Ctrl + A maybe?

Right. Appently you don't either.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

But why do you use light yellow letters?
I can't see it here but I see webpages in colors I can't read and I wonder what's wrong with the authors and I skip them. This may be my one chance to understand!
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote: snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com I am not going to change anything for one jerk that can not hit Cmd/A But why do you use light yellow letters? I can't see it here but I see webpages in colors I can't read and I wonder what's wrong with the authors and I skip them. This may be my one chance to understand!
Since you ask I will try to respond.
When I send the post it is not in a light yellow color. I guess you call it dark yellow on black. Something in your reader makes it light yellow.
Add pictures here
✖
"Jack" wrote

No, it wasnt his reader. It came over that way to all.
Add pictures here
✖