New roof - what to install for antenna mast?

I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job (it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution? Thanks for any ideas.
Dan
Are you planning on fastening the heavy pipe down through the roof and tie it in strong enough to be a rigid pole holder or were you planning to use guy wires on the antenna?
Try to avoid using guy wires if you can which will necessitate holes in a new roof or setting pitch pans.

:Are you planning on fastening the heavy pipe down through the roof :and tie it in strong enough to be a rigid pole holder or were you :planning to use guy wires on the antenna? : :Try to avoid using guy wires if you can which will necessitate :holes in a new roof or setting pitch pans.
Yes, rigid pipe that won't twist. I figure one of two things. Either a pipe I can attach the antenna to directly or the antenna's current 8' mast.
Dan

of bracket or plate that can be attached directly to the roof ridge decking, or even better, to the rafters and diagonals under the decking. The point is, you need to get advice and install it before the roof goes on, so the roofer can properly flash around it, after the roof is done. I would check with a ham radio operator, an antenna retailer, as well as a carpenter, to see what your options are. Try to avoid a system that mounts after the roof is on, and uses guy wires. You might also look around your neighborhood to see how others have handled it, for similar sized mast antennas.
: :> I'm having my roof completely removed and a new composite shingle roof :> installed in a week. Right now I have one of my two TV antenna's masts :> lashed to a vent that I'm going to have removed during the roofing job :> (it isn't used). While the roof materials have been removed to the skip :> sheathing I figure is the time to install something to which I can :> either attach the antenna directly or attach the antenna's mast, which :> is a standard antenna mast, about 8 feet long. A friend has suggested a :> piece of galvanized pipe, capped at the top. Is this the best solution? :> Thanks for any ideas.:I don't know how knowledgeable your roofer is, but there must be some kind :of bracket or plate that can be attached directly to the roof ridge decking, :or even better, to the rafters and diagonals under the decking. The point :is, you need to get advice and install it before the roof goes on, so the :roofer can properly flash around it, after the roof is done. I would check :with a ham radio operator, an antenna retailer, as well as a carpenter, to :see what your options are. Try to avoid a system that mounts after the roof :is on, and uses guy wires. You might also look around your neighborhood to :see how others have handled it, for similar sized mast antennas.
I haven't looked extensively, but all the antennas I've seen are either mounted to chimneys or with brackets to big vents (~4" vents). Yes, I figure an antenna retailer would have ideas. For sure I want whatever I put up there to be done before they put down the plywood sheathing, felt, shingles. And, like you say, it has to be flashed. I guess I'll call the estimator I've been dealing with and ask and see if he has an idea. I have a few other issues to run by him, anyway. He's very experienced and I have a fair amount of trust in him - just a feeling.
Dont forget proper grounding of mast and your rg6 cable.

have that kind of roof it might work for you. There are also "wall mounts" that go on the end of the house. Here are some representative mounts based on a google search: http://skyvision.com/store/off-air_accessories.html
Roys advice is best unless for some reasion you have to place the antenna in a special location if so the heavy capped pipe idea is good just be sure it is well bolted to your 2x6s both at celing and roof levels. you do not want it turning or wiggling around in the flashing.

Get cable TV and avoid the hassle.-Jitney
I use antenna for local digital channels Also cable in our area has poor quality and high price. I find directv preferable.
On 17 Oct 2005 01:18:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:17:36 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net" <uriah> wrote:
:I use antenna for local digital channels Also cable in our area has :poor quality and high price. I find directv preferable.
When I had cable, it was inferior in quality signalwise to OTA. It may be different now, but the monthly charges are still currently inferior to freebie OTA!
Dan : :On 17 Oct 2005 01:18:11 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : :> Get cable TV and avoid the hassle.-Jitney