New roof, same leak down side of chimney

I had a new roof put on my rancher in December, but after a heavy rain I occasionally see a small pool of water in my basement next to the chimney. It's nothing that a paper towel or two can't sop up, but I'm still concerned that the leak might cause wood rot on the way down...if it hasn't done so already. I bought the house last September and noticed bigger pools of water before I had the roof done, so at least it appears the new roof helped somewhat in this area. The roofers came out before to fix it, but it looks like it's still happening. (it looks like it's trickling down the OTHER side of the chimney now, so they might have only fixed one side)

Anyone have any suggestions what it might be, or how to fix it? Is this something I'd be better calling a chimney repair guy on?

Reply to
The Amazing Exploding Arab

What kind of siding? The reason I ask is I had a leak and discovered that it was caused by the brick at the top not being caulked to the trim board. I found this out by going to the brick inst. and they said that water can travel up 1" for every 10 miles an hour of wind so it only took a 10 mile an hour to get water up the inch it took to get up to the top of the brick then it would saturate and the rest would flow down the wall an onto my sill plate.

Reply to
Rich

I have something similar except it is a fireplace chimney. One side of the fireplace is plugged at the top yet water comes down from the interior after rather heavy rain. The roof is a rather new Gerard stone covered steel and very well sealed along the chimney line. Since it is getting to the inside of the chimney I think the mortar is porous. I have been considering spraying the outside of the chimney with a water repellant such as Thompson's. Concrete care sealer.

Reply to
HRL

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:36:41 GMT, "HRL" scribbled this interesting note:

Check the cap first...

John Willis

Check between the liner and the brick second.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That section is capped with cement. I put some tar type waterproofing on it already. No way to see inside. Inside the house that area is just a place to store wood or whatever. The other section is open with a screened hood on the top to keep out birds and animals (A neighbor had a couple racoons come down that way!! - wrecked the house). I don't notice any water coming down on that side.

Reply to
HRL

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:51:21 GMT, "HRL" scribbled this interesting note:

It doesn't take much of a crack in that mortar cap to cause the kind of leak you describe.

John Willis

I agree. I do not see any cracks. But the mortar may be porus enough that after a few hours of rain it begans to seep through. I live in Colorado where we do not get many days like that. Shows up less than once a year. I don't think it can be coming in from the top. I just am thinking if I sprayed on some of that Thompson's water seal it might do the job.

Reply to
HRL

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:57:52 GMT, "HRL" scribbled this interesting note:

It might, but I doubt it will do any good. You have a small spot somewhere that water is getting through. I suspect until you find that one little place you will continue to have this problem...

John Willis

Reply to
Doobie