New roof, same leak down side of chimney

I had a new roof put on my rancher in December, but after a heavy rain I occasionally see a small pool of water in my basement next to the chimney. It's nothing that a paper towel or two can't sop up, but I'm still concerned that the leak might cause wood rot on the way down...if it hasn't done so already. I bought the house last September and noticed bigger pools of water before I had the roof done, so at least it appears the new roof helped somewhat in this area. The roofers came out before to fix it, but it looks like it's still happening. (it looks like it's trickling down the OTHER side of the chimney now, so they might have only fixed one side)
Anyone have any suggestions what it might be, or how to fix it? Is this something I'd be better calling a chimney repair guy on?
What kind of siding? The reason I ask is I had a leak and discovered that it was caused by the brick at the top not being caulked to the trim board. I found this out by going to the brick inst. and they said that water can travel up 1" for every 10 miles an hour of wind so it only took a 10 mile an hour to get water up the inch it took to get up to the top of the brick then it would saturate and the rest would flow down the wall an onto my sill plate.
Good luck, Rich

I have something similar except it is a fireplace chimney. One side of the fireplace is plugged at the top yet water comes down from the interior after rather heavy rain. The roof is a rather new Gerard stone covered steel and very well sealed along the chimney line. Since it is getting to the inside of the chimney I think the mortar is porous. I have been considering spraying the outside of the chimney with a water repellant such as Thompson's. Concrete care sealer.
this interesting note:

Check the cap first...

Check between the liner and the brick second.
wrote in message

already. No way to see inside. Inside the house that area is just a place to store wood or whatever. The other section is open with a screened hood on the top to keep out birds and animals (A neighbor had a couple racoons come down that way!! - wrecked the house). I don't notice any water coming down on that side.
this interesting note:

It doesn't take much of a crack in that mortar cap to cause the kind of leak you describe.
wrote in message

after a few hours of rain it begans to seep through. I live in Colorado where we do not get many days like that. Shows up less than once a year. I don't think it can be coming in from the top. I just am thinking if I sprayed on some of that Thompson's water seal it might do the job.
this interesting note:

It might, but I doubt it will do any good. You have a small spot somewhere that water is getting through. I suspect until you find that one little place you will continue to have this problem...
Guys, thanks to all of your replies to my original note. While I'm waiting for my roofer to call back (wish me luck), I think I might give a chimney place a call and ask them to seal everything up tight. I'd do it myself, but I'm not handy, plus I'm a big guy (300 lbs.)...a combination that has disaster written all over it. LOL
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:12:01 -0500, John Willis