New roof question

I just had a new roof put on last week and I noticed that some of the shingles aren't laying flat. They're GAF Timberline 30-year laminate shingles so I know there's going to be more of an overlap look than the more common three-tab shingles which lay more flush with the roof. However, I noticed that quite a few shingles (about 5%) appear to be buckled...not laying as flat as they should be.
I approached the roofer about this and he said that they should straighten out in a couple of weeks....usually in warmer weather it takes a couple of days... but that in colder weather like this (central NJ...temps about 30-40 degrees F) it may take a couple of weeks to break in.
If anyone has any insight on roofing shingles, I'd appreciate any assistance. I just want to make sure I'm not being mislead by my roofer....
TIA!
When it warms up & the tar in the shingles gets hot, they should lay down. If they don't in a couple months, at the most, call 'em back.

Mine were the same way when first installed. In hot summer they laid down in a few days. Ed
I'm in Texas and had the exact same roof installed about 1 month ago.... I have several shingles doing the same.
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:18:41 GMT, The Amazing Exploding Arab

they should flatten out *if they are installed correctly*. If they were installed to "tight" (too close together, or with one end butted up too tight to a wall or something) they won't flatten, and should be repaired. Wait until it gets warm out - if you have easy access tot he roof, its warm when you put your hand flat on the shingles and pull it back because its too hot. A good sunny day in January will work as well as a cloudy in summer....
If they ahven't flattened out in a couple months, I'd call him back - a good day with sun should warmt hem up enough that they flatten out. If they don't, they need to be fixed...
-_JD

Guys, thanks for all the replies! I will take everyone's advice and wait awhile for to see if they flatten out on their own. If not, I'll go back to the roofer. Thanks!

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:18:41 GMT, The Amazing Exploding Arab

Are you sure that they are buckling or could it be some trash trapped under the shingles? My new roof (this summer) had a couple of nails that got trapped under the shingles.
PJ
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:18:41 GMT, The Amazing Exploding Arab

It sounds from other posts as if this isn't a big problem. However, I'd get something in writing about eventual adjustments, just to be on the safe side.

I had "The roof from hell" installed, and 1 of the reasons, I had the roofer replae the whole roof was shingles not lying flat. The problem with mine was thye roofer used a nail gun to attach the shingles, and about 300 of the nails were not driven all the way in. This was just 1 of many things they did wrong! The new roof looks great. By the way, the orig roof job passed the inspections, by the County idiots!