new roof

I need a new roof, just wondering if this a good time to to replace a roof, I live in Wisconsin the weather is starting to get cold, I'm thinking the shingles wont seal very good because of the cold, it would have to be a tear off because this is the second layer of shingles, or should just wait until next spring, we had some very high winds and lost some shingles, this roof has been on 26 yrs. ?? Thanks

Reply to
pacca

I'd say it also depends on why you need a new roof. If it's just that it's at the end of it's life, then you can wait. If it's because it has multiple leaks, that's another story. I would think shingle manufacturer's websites would have installation instructions that would cover the issue from a sealing standpoint and that's where I;d be looking.

Reply to
trader4

"pacca" wrote in news:iac57l$ip5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I am in Canada north of you. The year we were building our new house it rained every second or third day all summer long. That slowed us down so we couldn't shingle until late October. The weather got us again with a 12 inch snowfall 2 days before the shingles were delivered. I wasn't going to leave it as bare plywood until spring so we shovelled off the snow and shingled it. Been fine for 4 years now. The builders around here work year round including roofing.

We used fiberglass shingles and they have stuck down just fine.

Reply to
Reno

Hi, Roofing job is done year round. I had ceramic coated steel tiles(German product) installed in early spring. Suppose to last ~100 years. I am in Calgary.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

IMHO, if you can get enough sunny dry days in a row, warm enough and with the wind calm enough that the crew is willing to climb the ladders, the temp doesn't matter much. Just like an asphalt driveway burns clear and dry at ten degrees if the sun is shining, a few hours of sunlight will get the shingles warm enough to seal okay. Of course, the crew doesn't move as fast wearing winter gear, so it may take longer. Hopefully, the roofer is hungry enough in winter to not jack to bid to make up for the longer install time.

Reply to
aemeijers

Just have standing seam metal put over it all then forget about it.

Reply to
LSMFT