new roof

I've heard a lot of roofing horror stories and I'm hoping not to add to the collection. I've found 3 roofing companies that have all been in business for > 20 yrs, all belong to the BBB, and none have had complaints filed within the last 3 yrs. Is there anything else I should check on these companies or is this sufficient?

Reply to
Elizabeth Jones

Check to see if it's the same company.

If it's recently been taken over, the past history may be almost irrelevant.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ask for some references, jobs done recently and jobs done a year or more. Then contact the references.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My favorite source for references is people I know, whose homes show the work is good and it lasts. BBB is next to useless, IMO. Our county has a contractor licensing complaint department, so you can check there and/or file complaint. Our state also has online databases for checking to see if licenses are current and whether there have been formal complaints filed. We had bad experience with roofing on our condo, and, on paper, there were "problems". When the city did the in-process check, they noted an expired license (contractor employee). Doubt the city got up on the roof to inspect nailing, etc. Lots of shingles delaminated and fell off, with nails outside of nailing line by 1/4". Problems probably as much due to our choice of product and the style of roof as anything else. I didn't live here when the work was done, but the folks decided to put shingles on to replace a badly leaking old cement tile roof. There was fascia and structural work that needed to be done but we "save money" the dumb way - by putting on a new roof without repairing leaky fascia. OK, I've vented.

When you get to formal estimates, know what product you want, have everything states in the estimate. - cost of sheathing, rafter tails (if needed), removal old roofing, new flashings or vents, disposal and clean-up, etc. Get a signed release of lien, or whatever they call it, so's you don't pay for the roofing if the contractor fails to. The roofing material package should have installation instructions on it, so you can check as the work proceeds to make sure they are doing it right. Roofing material mfgs. also have lots of websites with install specs, rec's for underlayment, warrantys, etc.

Reply to
RamblinOn

Reply to
k conover

Uhh... References...?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

The tech at GAF and I discussed creating vertical venting through the fascia board behind the gutter. This is what they suggest in the case of no soffits and you want to use a ridge vent. GAF said if my current ventilation is adequate, there isn't any reason to do this and I'm comfortable not doing it.

The original quote was $10,000 and since then I've gotten two more quotes. One is $6500 and the other $6720. I've checked references and talked with people who have had roofs put on by both of the lower quote companies and once I find out when either can do the roof, we'll make a decision.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Reply to
CAStinneford