New requirement for Electric cars. Straw in the spoke.

Page 1 of 2
The Department of Transportation is proposing new regulations that would require hybrid and electric cars to make more noise when their engines are running. The rules are designed to make it easier for nearby pedestrians to hear the traditional quiet automobiles when they are approaching. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the change would make it easier for hybrid and electric car drivers to share the road.
"Safety is our highest priority, and this proposal will help keep everyone using our nation's streets and roadways safe, whether they are motorists, bicyclists or pedestrians, and especially the blind and visually impaired," LaHood said in a statement released by the DOT. Under the requirement, cars would be required to be heard above typical street noises when they are traveling at speeds less than 18 miles per hour.
-- Stephanie: What did you do today? Leonard Hofstadter: Well, I'm a physicist, so I just thought about stuff. Stephanie: That's it? Leonard Hofstadter: I wrote some of it down.

I almost got run over by one backing out of parking space without looking a couple of days ago. They ARE quiet.

You don't want greenies to pay for their share of the roads? I sure do! Double! ...unless they're packing heat. ;-)
On 1/10/2013 6:18 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I rode in a new Prius and it was surprising how high the road noise was.
Quiet outside, noisy inside ;)
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:52:34 -0500, Frank

The busy little 4 cyl in a Prius is hardly silent from outside either - unless you are talking road noise when in electric only mode.
My old electric Fiat was far from silent when accelerating from a dead stop either. AC motors are a bit quieter, but if the frequency of the switching is set "right" they can produce significant sound as well.
On 1/10/2013 9:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When a Prius stops for a rather short time (like at a red light) the gas engine stops.
When it starts moving it is powered by battery-electric motor until the speed gets to a few MPH and the gas engine starts. A Prius is very quiet at slow speed on electric motor only.

Sound deadening adds weight :)
The advocates of them insist they are fine for long distance driving. Yep if you want to ride a small crackerbox with limited amenities long distances.
Harry K

Baseball cards.
Greg
On 01/10/2013 03:18 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

HA! You beat me to this post, and mine happened just two days ago.
Jon

So you think they should be allowed to use public property and not help pay for it?
Harry K

Why insanity? They use the roads, wear them out just like the rest of us. They should pay their fair share to maintain them.
On Friday, January 11, 2013 10:47:56 AM UTC, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

IN the UK people pay road tax for that.
If they use taxes as teh excuse to clean up the enviorment by including a tax on petrol then if yuo're not using petorl it's not fair to replace that tax by taxing water, toilet paper or anything else is it ?
On Jan 15, 11:03am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Who says the taxes on fuel in the USA are used to pay for cleaning up the environment? AFAIK, the federal tax goes straight into the govt hole with all the rest of the revenue. And the state taxes on gasoline are usually used for roads. Here in NJ, that's where the fuel tax goes.
On 1/10/13 5:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

"Safety is our highest priority" ??????????? So why are the geniuses proposing a 54 mpg standard for vehicles?
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:24:21 -0600, Dean Hoffman

Herding sheep is their highest priority.

Always has been. Thus, when air bags were first put in cars, they were sold as an ALTERNATIVE safety measure for those who wouldn't buckle their seat belts.. Ooops.

Seat belts were an option on some cars in the early 60's. No one bought them so the car companies may no profit on them. They the government mandated them and the car companies apologized for raising the price of the car and blamed the government for them being able to make a couple of extra bucks.
My '62 Corvair had the bolt holes so you could buy aftermarket belts. IIRC, the attachment system was mandated around that time, belts a couple of years later in 1965. Wisconsin was first in 1961.

my wife had a ford falcon of that era that had similar mounting plates. Bell Labshad some sort of a deal where we the employees could buy seat belts and then put them in ourselves.
On 1/10/2013 3:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Guess they picked that number to keep the noise down in a 20 MPH school zone.
On 1/10/2013 5:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I believe the darn things should sound like the flying cars from "The Jetsons". ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjy-fnsmWR4

TDD