New refrigerator noise

I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model

64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen fairly often.

Thanks!

Reply to
Janet

I don't know about replacing the compressor motor or such but I also bought a Whirlpool years ago and it's so loud that I couldn't sleep. And it runs everytime I open the fridge. I was hoping an Alaskan bear would make off with it. The previous unit I had was super quiet and never cycle on and off every time I open its door.

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

We bought a Kenmore a few months ago. It makes a lot of noise. Annoying, but I don't know if there is anything to do.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Hi,

Might be best to call and have them check the unit and noises out, esp while still under the warranty ( if it is ).

common noises refrigerators make.

Not a model#, Kenmore model#'s are more like 123.45678910 or 123

45678910

Some model# helps, if needed. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

This is Turtle.

Scrapping sound NO , Fluid sound YES.

Check the Condenser Fan under the back to see if it is hitting the edge of housing or too much dust on the blade to make it snap back and forth to make this scrapping noise. The fluid sound you can get from any of the boxes.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The scraping is definitely not normal.Probably bent fan blade rubbing.If you got a warranty get it taken care of.Dont wait

Reply to
Cdroc2

Ice maker producing ice?

Reply to
Ron

Or the blades rubbing stalactites.

Reply to
Leroy Mowry

That's got to be a Kenmore feature. I'm extremely unhappy with my 4 year old one. Every single cycle it makes scraping and vibrating sounds at startup.

It's gotten to the point that I'll get up and go kick the damn thing rather than waiting 30 seconds for the noises to stop. This works about 1/2 the time.

I've had soooo many problem with Sears appliances that this is the last one. I'll never buy another major appliance from them.

I'm planning to replace this fridge after the new year on the first sale I see (excluding Sears).

Reply to
Mark

On 12/10/2004 9:37 AM US(ET), Mark took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Make sure that it is not from the same manufacturer as your Kenmore. Sears does not manufacture their own appliances (or much of anything else). They just have the GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, or other manufacturer, put a Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman name on them. My Kenmore side by side refrigerator/freezer is made by GE. If I want to know if it is running, I have to put my ear near it or feel it for vibration. It is 9 years old.

Reply to
willshak

Hi,

Sears is a department store. They do not build their own appliances. They contract the other manufactures to build all of their appliances. This chart will help you determine who actually built your appliance, then you can choose the manufacture from the chart on this page. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

We noticed same thing with Kenmore fridge purchased almost 2 years ago. It is the model with freezer on bottom and pantry doors above. A sort of metallic wheezing sound intermittently. Called for warranty service, and the service guy told us it was noise caused by the refrigerent passing through the transition from large to small (or maybe small to large) tubes, and that there was nothing wrong and nothing to fix. Except for that annoying noise, the unit has been working flawlessly since purchased. PE

Reply to
pe

Reply to
Janet

Perhaps that is the same noise that I am hearing on my Kenmore/Whirlpool. The

20.6 cu ft refrigerator has worked fine so far (it's 2 months old) and it is an Energy Star model so it is using a lot less electricity than our 20 year old clunker. Aside from the annoying noise it sometimes makes within 30s of cycling on, it is generally pretty quiet.
Reply to
Janet