New refrigerator

Ours is shot. Any suggestions on how to find a good one? I'm kind of interested in one with a freezer on the bottom or without a freezer at all... is that weird?

Reply to
cat rancher

Consumers reports

Reply to
m Ransley

If you buy a bottom freezer, the brand does not matter. They are all made by the same company. I think Amana is the one.

Off hand, I don't know who makes one with no freezer. If you have a big freezer you don't need one in the kitchen. If you have no freezer at all, then yes, you are weird.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

Amana, LG and Whirlpool make some, but you will find a dozen different names out there. All are good, Amana has a slight edge in the market place. This might help....

Not weird, lots of people have all fridges with no freezer.

Woods in Canada makes several styles. Frigidaire makes a couple now as well.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

I strongly prefer a side-by-side and will be in the market for a new refrigerator soon. Can you tell me why you want a freezer on the bottom? Maybe there's something I'm not considering.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

My wife's reason for preferring the freezer on the bottom is that there is more space there than in a side-by side -- room for larger items -- and more efficient: the cold air doesn't fall out while you have the door open.

HOWEVER, she settled for a side-by-side when she saw how expensive the bottom-freezer ones with French doors were.

Perce

On 06/09/05 07:21 am Banty tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Here are some commercial ones with no freezers. I bought one for our church.

The one I bought was 4 doors, all refrigerated. It cost about $1600. Not too bad if you ask me. Here is the single wide, available no freezer.
but with 2 doors.

The nice thing about these is they will hold those very large aluminum trays that commercial kitchens use.

Reply to
No

Hmmm.... Have you thought about stopping by your local appliance store?

Reply to
Dan C

On 06/09/05 10:10 am Dan C tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

The OP's looking for a good one, not necessarily the one on which the store gets the biggest markup or on which the salesperson gets the biggest commission.

I assumed that s/he was looking for experience-based recommendations.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

We have had Amana bottom freezer refrigerators for over 4 decades. There were only three. The first one was sold with the house after 22 years because that was the custom in that area.

The third also went with the house after 16 years. The third is still with us and we are not anticipating a move. The rationale we have used for the bottom freezer was one of convenience. How many times a day do you get something from the freezer as compared with the fridge? Why keep bending over to get something that many times?

All of these have been trouble free except number 2 that had a loose connection for the defrost timer. It was fixed in warranty because it showed up pretty fast.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Right.

I mean, jees - how dare some person come along here and ask a question, with all the yellow pages, big-box stores, libraries, and Google searches out there! The should STOP THAT! THIS group is for......

(??)

..... now what WAS it this group is for??

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

And what does that have to do with what I suggested?

Exactly. Where else have you purchased major appliances from?

Reply to
Dan C

: >

: : If you buy a bottom freezer, the brand does not matter. They are all made : by the same company. I think Amana is the one. : : Off hand, I don't know who makes one with no freezer. If you have a big : freezer you don't need one in the kitchen. If you have no freezer at all, : then yes, you are weird.

We've got a freezer in the garage. Whew, I was almost weird... : -)

Reply to
cat rancher

: >Ours is shot. Any suggestions on how to find a good one? : >I'm kind of interested in one with a freezer on the bottom : >or without a freezer at all... is that weird? : >

: >

: : I strongly prefer a side-by-side and will be in the market for a new : refrigerator soon. Can you tell me why you want a freezer on the bottom? Maybe : there's something I'm not considering. : : Banty

My wife piles stuff in so much that we've got holes in the bottom of the frig from stuff falling out when the door opens. If you have the same problem maybe we can get a group rate on therapy... : -)

Reply to
cat rancher

Thanks everyone. Isn't it reassuring that people help each other ... best

Reply to
cat rancher

Garage sales. Auctions. Left by previous owners in purchased houses. Abandoned by previous tenants in rentals. The back door of a warehouse, late at night.....

OP was looking for recommendations of brands that have served others well.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Close call ;)

We have a side by side. The freezer portion is hardly used at all since we have a full freezer also. "The main function of it is ice cubes. Damn, we use a lot of ice. I'd trade the rest of the space for something else. But then people may think us weird.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We have a bottom mount freezer. This one rolls out in 2 levels. It says KitchenAid on the door but is made by Amana and is sold under various brands, including GE, Sears Kenmore.

Our last fridge was the same style..A Sub Zero.

There are other bottom mounts but they dont roll out as such, they have a door at the bottom. Thats inconvenient IMO.

I know several folks that have SXS fridges. None say they'd buy another: Freezer is too small and narrow in most of them, especially if theres an icemaker and "water in door"

Rudy

If we did not have another freezer, I'd agree. We find the water and ice so handy, I'd buy it again just for that feature.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm looking at models *without* the icemaker, etc., as we have well water, and we much prefer drinking bottled water. No dealer has agreed that there is any way to plumb bottled water into the icemaker/water dispensor.

That gives me more freezer space. Other than that, I guess I don't use the freezer as much as some, and I like the small shelves. Many of the bottom freezers and 'deep freezers' I've seen have the contents in something of a jumble, despite the dividers. Not everyone in my family is particuarly neat.

Banty

Reply to
Banty