New project and need more electrical help

My daughter is becomming a teenager and her and her mother fight over the m irror in the bathroom. My intention is to make two mirror frames out of red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror g lued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the cur rent mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to move this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one o n each side wall.)
The outlet that will be covered is in a chain to the other outlets in this bathroom as well as the other bathroom.
I have a crawlspace underneath this room but I think the wiring to the outl ets is within the wall itself.
My first thought is to t off the existing outlet. However, as we discussed before, junction boxes have to be "acccessible". A permanently made mirror screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the b ox would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or would work.
How would you do this?
On Apr 9, 8:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ed oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the c urrent mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to mov e this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

r screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or woul d work.

You can put a blank cover where the outlet is. Even though a mirror is going over it, it's still accessible by removing the mirror. Inaccessible would be if you drywalled over it.
The bigger issue is that code now requires that bathroom receptacles be on a 20 amp circuit and GFCI protected. The latter is easy, the first might require running a new circuit. Whether you make it 100% compliant or not depends on you and if 2 hair dryers are going to be used at the same time, etc.
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:13:36 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ed oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the c urrent mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to mov e this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

r screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or woul d work.

It is already on a 20 amp circuit and is gfi protected throught the outlet.
One other question I have, how would you mount the mirror to the wall where it looks nice but is also sturdy? I bought some rail and stile bits and wa s thinking of using these to place the mirror in the "frame". However, how do I mount the mirror to the wall correctly? I have parents that had a cust om mirror made with their cabinets. It looks as if they screwed through the frame to the wall and then covered the recessed screw head with wood putty stained to look like the surrounding wood. (However you can always tell it is not exactly the same as the surrounding wood.
On Apr 9, 8:48 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirr or glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the current mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to m ove this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, o ne on each side wall.)

ror screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat t he box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or wo uld work.

Well that made it easier. The remaining difficulty will be to route the wire, which needs to be 12 gauge. Your option are probably to either knock holes in the drywall or else go down to the crawlspace and then back up at the new locations.

was thinking of using these to place the mirror in the "frame". However, ho w do I mount the mirror to the wall correctly? I have parents that had a cu stom mirror made with their cabinets. It looks as if they screwed through t he frame to the wall and then covered the recessed screw head with wood put ty stained to look like the surrounding wood. (However you can always tell it is not exactly the same as the surrounding wood.- Hide quoted text -

Why can't you make it so it hangs like any other mirror would, using a wire behind it? That would seem easiest to me. I have several mirrors over sinks and that is how they are hung. Another option is a French cleat. It's two strips of metal that interlock. One gets joined to the back of the mirror, the other the wall. But they are typically used hang art and stuff that is heavier than is suitable for the typical wire hanger.

of red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mi rror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside t he current mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to move this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

irror screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or would work.

d was thinking of using these to place the mirror in the "frame". However, how do I mount the mirror to the wall correctly? I have parents that had a custom mirror made with their cabinets. It looks as if they screwed through the frame to the wall and then covered the recessed screw head with wood p utty stained to look like the surrounding wood. (However you can always tel l it is not exactly the same as the surrounding wood.- Hide quoted text -

i have seen mirrors with electric outlets in them, it appeared fine

mirror in the bathroom. My intention is to make two mirror frames out of red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the current mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to move this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

receptacles that require GFCI protection, you'll need to relocate the GFCI device and be sure that the new location is still upstream of all the receptacles requiring GFCI protection. Otherwise more GFCI devices may be required.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Use a French cleat.
http://stagingandredesign.com/2012/diy-headboards-french-cleat/
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I have seen multiple uses of Franch cleats, they are great for taking heavy weights like wall mirrors
On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:13:36 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ed oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the c urrent mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to mov e this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

r screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or woul d work.

I thought about the electrical outlet in the mirror, but was not sure how t o cut it. I get nervous cutting on a 200 dollar mirror.
I wanted to make sure the mirror sat flush on the wall. I guess just using the "hang it" method I was worried that it would warp or something in the b athroom. Plus, I did not want the kids or anything to knock it over.
That and I am not 100% decided on using two mirrors. I may use one big one. Letting wife decide.
That is a good point about the gfi. I will have to check exactly what is do wnstream.
On Apr 9, 10:42 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirr or glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the current mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to m ove this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, o ne on each side wall.)

ror screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat t he box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or wo uld work.

bathroom. Plus, I did not want the kids or anything to knock it over.

I just looked at two of my mirrors. Those actually hang by two small metal loops, one fastened with screws to each side of the frame. On the wall are matching hooks.

mirror in the bathroom. My intention is to make two mirror frames out of red oak, stained to match the cabinet. (Currently there is one vanity mirror glued to the wall.)There is an electrical outlet on this wall beside the current mirror that will be covered up when using two mirrors. I need to move this outlet to a side wall. (Actually I want to add two more outlets, one on each side wall.)

before, junction boxes have to be "acccessible". A permanently made mirror screwed to the wall may not be. At any rate for the mirror to be flat the box would have to be inside the wall, so not sure if that is legal or would work.

"hang it" method I was worried that it would warp or something in the bathroom. Plus, I did not want the kids or anything to knock it over.

you will not be able to cut a hole in the mirror. this is first drilled out in the corners with diamond bits. it would be far cheaper to have the glass company drill it (and they'll replace it if they break it) than it would be for you to get the specialized tooling to do this.