New OIL furnaces aren't much more efficient, true or false?

I was planning to buy a new furnace, for the greater efficiency I hear about, and for the Federal Energy Tax Credit, but a reputable furnace dealer I talked to, who has been in business for 80 years, said that it's hard to find an OIL furnace that is eligible for the tax credit. Because not much work has been done redesigning oil furnaces if I understand him correctly.
What do you guys know about that?
It took me by surprise.
He knows houses in my n'hood and says I need 2 ton.
He sells Rudd and Rheem, which he says are the same. What do you guys know about that?
Thanks.

Authoritative answers can be sought from national or governmental laboratories that investigate furnace efficiency, for Americans http://www.nist.gov/building-and-fire-research-portal.cfm

Ask the Underwriters Laboratories http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/perspectives/consumer/?set-cookie=true
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
mm wrote:

Maximum efficiency was reached 10 years ago. All they can do now is play with your thermostat and freeze you out for gains.
--
LSMFT

On 10/14/2010 1:41 AM, mm wrote:

Two tons would be a very very small house. Perhaps 600 sq feet or so with good insulation.
--
Steve Barker
On 10/14/2010 1:41 AM, mm wrote:

as far as thr RUDD and rheem, well you'd be a lot better off with some bryant or york equipment.
--
Steve Barker

In the spring of '09 I was looking at oil furnaces. The energy rebate *then* specified 90% efficient- which only covered condensing units. They are[were?] only manufactured by Adams- and sold under 3-4 names.
Condensing oil furnaces are new technology & I hesitated on jumping on to that bandwagon.
Before I even priced them I found a new furnace on craiglist for $500 & figured I'd never beat that with the small efficiency savings I was supposed to get with the condensing unit even with the rebate. The stack test by the tech who set it up was 85% or so. So for 5% [in theory] the premium you'd likely pay for a condensing unit would have a long payback. [but you'd also get that warm fuzzy feeling if you're so inclined.]
Spend your extra money on insulation that has a 30% credit from the first $15 roll- and a 1-2 year payback.
Jim