New metal roof question.

We want to put a new metal roof over an existing asphalt shingle roof. There is only one layer of shingles. Some people have said that we need wood firring strips, but I'm don't see why. Can't the metal be screwed down to the existing shingles? Do we need felt paper between the shingles and the metal? If we do need firring strips, what would be their purpose? Thanks, Henry
<< We want to put a new metal roof over an existing asphalt shingle roof. There is only one layer of shingles. Some people have said that we need wood firring strips, but I'm don't see why. Can't the metal be screwed down to the existing shingles? Do we need felt paper between the shingles and the metal? If we do need firring strips, what would be their purpose? >>
You need to back off, take a deep breath and talk to the people that know what works. If you need explanations they can supply them. First off, a metal roof is a much pricier covering than shingles, so you don't want to screw it up with a half a**ed installation. Your roofing vendor will have complete instructions and will be willing to answer your questions in detail if this is going to be a DIY project. Next, do a Google search and you will likely be pointed to the Metal Roofing Alliance. From there you will find lots of informative leads on types, tools, and techniques. For example, it is possible with one system to go over exiting shingles with their proprietary metal stand-off clips. Finally, all metal roofing systems are unique, so you must install precisely in order to have valid warranty. Carry on with your research and good luck.
Joe

This is Turtle
To let the heat flow out from under the sheetmetal and help cool in the summer and not let moisture form under the metal roof like in rotting out wood under the sheet metal cover. It works better this away.
TURTLE

Gerard uses a combination of 1x4 vertical and 2x2 horizontal to the roof line.
http://www.gerardusa.com/faq.htm
ABC wrote:

i had decra by tasman put on. these were metal shingle type. and they could be put on one layer of asphalt shingle. however i had gaf metal mate put on the entire roof and the decra metal shingles screwed down. i don't know about any other metal roofing.

Who are the "some people"? The manufacturer will have recommendations. Follow them and you should have no problem and they will not hassle you if there is a warranty claim.