new lighting standards

Page 2 of 2

of himself so likes big brother to force him to do the right thing. Bob-tx
Mark wrote:

So, then, in a nutshell, the government forces me to transfer some of my money to someone else and that someone else is a person or company that I would not have otherwise chosen.
I think that's called a tax, although it IS more efficient without the government being in the middle.
Further, the money I am forced to transfer is money I can't use for something more to my liking, such as food for my malnourished child. Or more beer.
As for the claim that there's no incentive for manufacturers to provide alternatives, florescent lights have been around for a really long time. Fuel-efficient cars have likewise been available.*
No, the arguments you put forth are simply not valid and the results of this forced conversion are immoral. Especially the less beer part.
-------- * My 1957 VW bug got better gas milage than today's Pious.

There are indeed minimum efficiency standards for appliances that are expressed as Energy Star standards (ie SEER for A/Cs).
Robert Neville wrote:

Our A/C -- installed by the previous owner in 2002 -- has a SEER rating of 11 and apparently was one of the better ones in its day. Since 2006 it has been illegal to sell A/C in the USA with a SEER of less than 13, and to get the new tax credit for energy-efficient appliances the minimum SEER is 16. Some on the market now have a SEER of 20 or more.
Perce