new lighting standards

It looks like this guy, obama, is a dictator, not a president. What does he know about lighting standards? Is anyone else fed up with the government trying to take care of us and protect us by not letting us make any of our own decisions? Bob-tx

White House announces new lighting standards

By LIZ SIDOTI The Associated Press Monday, June 29, 2009 4:46 PM

WASHINGTON

Reply to
Bob-tx

[...]

But the article doesn't say what the new standards ARE.

Perhaps the president is merely going to say "Let there be light..."

Reply to
HeyBub

I heard yesterday that the new energy bill will require your home be inspected by a government agency to check for energy efficiency before you can sell it.

Reply to
Frank

Just wait till they try to regulate how many galons of water a toilet flush can be.... oh, nevermind. That's already happened.

I can see an instance or two where BHO may have stepped outside the constitutionally assigned powers.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They are going to make CFLs look more attractive, probably by outlawing or taxing the hell out of incandescents

Reply to
gfretwell

Actually my summer electric bill is HALF of what it was years ago because of things like this. Basically because of "Energy Star".

I don't know if Energy Star *required* A/C, refrigerator, and freezer manufacturers to make their units more energy efficient or if it just required labeling? (Then consumers could pick the best models?)

But I got a new A/C unit, new refrigerator, and new freezer and this cut my summer time use of electricity in half because these use less electricity to operate. PLUS the A/C has a bit more BTU's than the old! And it was less expensive ta boot!

So I LIKE this type of stuff myself.

Reply to
Bill

I've been using pretty much all CFLs for several years, and they are fine. The only time you will notice a difference is if you have more than one type of light source in a single room, so just make sure that in any given room it's all or nothing. Any yes, they do save a noticeable amount of power, as well as having a much longer life span than incandescents.

Reply to
Pete C.

Outhouses are more "green".

Reply to
Hipupchuck

I like it too. I just don't want to be dictated to. The new cap and trade bill is a killer.

Reply to
Frank

They are posted on the energystar.gov site, but I don't recall the specifics.

Non-compliant bubs will gradually become unavailable, starting with

100-Watt ones and then progressing to lower-wattage ones. Specialty bulbs, including 3-ways and those for appliances will be exempt.

The regs. are "technology neutral." I.e., they do not specify any particular kind of lighting.

I've been using CFLs for years -- mostly Sylvania -- and they do not last as long as is claimed, they take a noticeable time to achieve full brightness, and some of them emit a distinct "fried electronics" smell when they finally quit.

I've bought a few LED bulbs but of course haven't used them long enough to comment on their longevity. 3.5 to 5 Watts consumption for the equivalent of a 50-Watt bulb; i.e., considerably more efficient than CFLs. The light is bluer than that of CFLs or incandescents -- closer to daylight; some people don't like them, but they are fine for me.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

There are indeed minimum efficiency standards for appliances that are expressed as Energy Star standards (ie SEER for A/Cs).

Reply to
Robert Neville

And happening again. Next year the new flush standard is going down from 1.5gpf to 1gpf. You think there was a lot of complaints about the Al Gore toilet in the past, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Reply to
Red

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:15:34 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled Red , to say:

My toilets were installed in 1977.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSCCCCCCH!

Reply to
Steve Daniels

The issue with this is the same as with more gas efficient cars, and anything else where there the current technology remains less expensive to produce. There is no incentive for manufactures to develop improvements or for consumers to buy the more expensive alternatives that are available. We have to continue investing in the future and since we won't do it on our own, legislative moves are about the only alternatives.

As others have stated, I'm happy with the CFLs I've installed. I use to keep a pack of 60w in my nightstand because the dang light would always burn out when I was dog tired and just wanted to get to bed - not go hunting for a new bulb. I haven't had to replace it since putting in the CFL a couple years ago.

I like it too. I just don't want to be dictated to. The new cap and trade bill is a killer.

Reply to
Mark

Spoken like a true Liberal. Someone who can't or won't, take care of himself so likes big brother to force him to do the right thing. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

So, then, in a nutshell, the government forces me to transfer some of my money to someone else and that someone else is a person or company that I would not have otherwise chosen.

I think that's called a tax, although it IS more efficient without the government being in the middle.

Further, the money I am forced to transfer is money I can't use for something more to my liking, such as food for my malnourished child. Or more beer.

As for the claim that there's no incentive for manufacturers to provide alternatives, florescent lights have been around for a really long time. Fuel-efficient cars have likewise been available.*

No, the arguments you put forth are simply not valid and the results of this forced conversion are immoral. Especially the less beer part.

--------

  • My 1957 VW bug got better gas milage than today's Pious.
Reply to
HeyBub

Our A/C -- installed by the previous owner in 2002 -- has a SEER rating of 11 and apparently was one of the better ones in its day. Since 2006 it has been illegal to sell A/C in the USA with a SEER of less than 13, and to get the new tax credit for energy-efficient appliances the minimum SEER is 16. Some on the market now have a SEER of 20 or more.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Where did you "hear" that? More of the cr**p that the Reps put out with the sole aim of destroying Obama?

I'm an Independent, equally critical of all politicians, but this crowd of far-far-far Right Reps are truly desperate and destructive.

Watch out for "Swift Boat" type of rumors spread by a crowd that still thinks global warming is a hoax!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It's already the law in some places. For example:

"[San Francisco] Effective September 20, 1982, owners of residential property who wish to sell their property, must obtain a valid energy inspection, install certain energy (since 1991) and water conservation devices or materials and then obtain a certi?cate of compliance. All of this must occur prior to transfer of title of any residential buildings as speci? ed in the ordinance, and the seller must provide a copy of the compliance certi?cate to the buyer prior to title transfer."

The certificate of compliance includes such things as attic insulation (minimum of R19), weather-stripping, water heater insulation, low-flow showerheads, low-flush toilets, etc.

As to national requirements, American Clean Energy and Security Act bill (the "Waxman-Markey Bill") did recently pass the House of Representatives (219-212). The original bill required new and existing homes and buildings to undergo an energy evaluation inspection at the time of transfer (sale).

The original bill was modified to apply only to new homes, exempting existing resale homes from its requirements.

There is no denying, however, that Waxman and Markey TRIED to get all homes included.

Maybe next year.

As to how the poster may have come by this information, he could have read the bill (which, evidently, 435 members of the House did not), specifically:

"`(3) VIOLATIONS- It shall be a violation of this section for an owner or builder of a building to knowingly occupy, permit occupancy of, or convey the building if the building is subject to the requirements of- (A) a State energy efficiency building code with respect to which a certification has been accepted by the Secretary under subsection (c)(2)(B); (B) a local energy efficiency building code with respect to which a certification has been accepted by the Secretary under subsection (e)(6)(B); or (C) a national energy efficiency building code adopted under subsection (c)(1)(A)(i) or made applicable under paragraph (1) of this subsection, if the building was constructed out of compliance with such code.

Or, he could have read any of 108 news articles on the subject.
Specifically: "Waxman-Markey contains unpleasant surprises for Americans, including a provision which could prevent homeowners from selling their homes if they aren't retrofitted to meet federal "green" guidelines. But the House passed the 1,400-page bill before its members had an opportunity to read it, much less ponder its implications. Let's pray the Senate is more responsible."

Most of the attention to this bill is centered around the carbon-offset business involving cap-and-trade. One of the stealth provisions, however, in this 1,400-page document is a national building standard, at least in regard to energy efficiency.

Obviously, treehouses and Boy Scout tents will be a thing of the past.

Bottom line: The rumored provisions are NOT crap put out by the Republicans with a view toward discrediting Obama.

Reply to
HeyBub

The plumbers around here have a loaner toilet that meets all the government specs and after inspection, remove it and install one that works. I see a whole new underground industry of government required update rentals for people who wish to sell their property. A group comes in and installs all the water flow restricting devices and energy saving crap and comes back later to remove it all to reuse on the next house. People are going to figure out ways to get around all the nonsense then some bright bureaucrat will write a surprise inspection regulation and people will wind up getting killed by the machine gun toting enforcement drones when they refuse them entry into their homes. Living in a third world country will be fun by the time the Liberal wackos get done turning The U.S. into one. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas