New light bulb?

Page 1 of 2
The bright boys at MIT think they have a new, really efficient incandescent. From the U.K. Telegraph: http://preview.alturl.com/yttys
(bad pun intended)

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 9:47:23 PM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Url won't work with ad-blocker.

Does this work better?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12093545/Return-of-inc andescent-light-bulbs-as-MIT-makes-them-more-efficient-than-LEDs.html

Nope. You should put long URLs inside angle brackets to keep them from breaking:
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12093545/Return-of-incandescent-light-bulbs-as-MIT-makes-them-more-efficient-than-LEDs.html
On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 10:54:18 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

I worked in a locked down, corporate environment with all sorts of ad blockers, prohibited domains, etc. Most image hosting sites, all webmail sites, tinyurl, etc. are blocked.
Both of the OP's url's (the preview and the direct link) went right through without an issue.
Must be something on your end, not the OP's (or ours).
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 8:27:59 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

...not a concern...ABP on Chrome. (and Telegraph's greed)
On 01/11/2016 10:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

We need to ban those energy-hog CFLs and LEDs.
On 1/11/2016 8:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

(sigh) Typical "fluff" story -- media just "retweeting" press releases. Why can't "they" actually investigate things instead of just repeating what someone else (who obviously has a bias/interest) has told them?
E.g., what are the issues standing between "it" and "production"? What are the *likely* costs going to be if it was sold in HUGE volumes, *today*? Of those, which can be improved upon with techological advances and which are "hard limits"?
I.e., how much of a pipe dream *is* this?
On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 8:19:04 AM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Because it's a newspaper and not a technical journal?

You expect a reporter for the Telegraph to do that analysis? The researchers at MIT probably don't even know enough yet to make that evaluation. Did researchers accurately predict that you'd have a 60" LCD TV hanging on your wall for $1000 when LCD technology was first discovered? Was the reporter writing the first article in a general interest newspaper supposed to?

You expect a reporter for the Telegraph to make that judgement?
<stuff snipped>

Grasshopper, you have become very wise. (-:

techological

A good science reporter (may NOT be any at the Telegraph) would find *someone* who could explain what we're wondering: How do you capture broad spectrum radiation with lots of IR and turn the heat into light? Special dichroic coatings? A sort of "lasing" reflection of the heat energy that (here's the magic) converts the IR light to visible light?

60" LCD

Actually I think there were a lot of people that realized that even using the manufacturing techniques of the time that eventually the would "print" TV's much the same way they use photolithography to make multi-layer chips. I am sure in a PopScience from 50 years ago someboy got some of this stuff right. We've had Star Trek like flip-phones for quite some time.

Nope. Probably a "general assignment" reporter whose next piece will be on the oldest living English veteran or what someone dug up under a parking lot (recently it was the maligned and malformed Richard III).
Nowadays there's always a strong possibility that the article is a hoax cribbed from a growing number of sites dedicated to falsifying news reports.
On 1/14/2016 1:28 AM, Robert Green wrote:

Exactly. A fluff piece.
The role of a reporter is to ask the questions his/her *readers* would ask -- not to simply pass "press releases" on to the public. To sort out a realistic way of explaining the issue(s) to the readership. Then, to identify the challenges remaining and likelihood of those challenges being overcome (e.g., some are NOT solely "funding issues" but have technical problems that make the solutions impractical; romm temperature superconductors??)
You can bet your *ss the *researcher* has already thought of these questions as he's, no doubt, asked them, himself. And, is probably the *most* OPTIMISTIC of a discovery's/invention's potential. Even a naive journalist should be able to ask: "So, how much will it cost?" and "When will we see this being used?" Answers like "it *may* EVENTUALLY be cheaper than current alternatives" should prompt "then why can't we have it TODAY?"
Give an interested 8 year old the "microphone" and he'll NATURALLY ask the questions that the readership is *thinking*.
If you look at these sorts of reports, historically, they are little more than pipe dreams (where's my rollable OLED TV/phone/display? "cold fusion"?)

Or, just filler for an advertisement (space/slot) they couldn't sell...
On 1/14/2016 6:36 AM, Don Y wrote:

Contrast the approach in this piece:
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2865903/Scientists-create-lifes-spark.html

Curiosity supposedly killed the cat. It will just cost the cat a few bucks depending on how curious the cat is. This http://preview.alturl.com/n4apo leads to the original article in the publication referenced at the end of the Telegraph story.

On 1/14/2016 6:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I'd start here: <http://news.mit.edu/2016/nanophotonic-incandescent-light-bulbs-0111
And then consult: <http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/extref/nnano.2015.309-s1.pdf
A quick glance suggest the manufacturing process probably will require LOTS of retooling -- to deposit ~90 layers on the filaments before encapsulation! And, no idea how brittle the filaments will end up in a mass-produced scenario!
On 1/11/2016 10:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

No problem with url.
Surprising how inefficient even new lighting sources, CFL and LED, both are.
Lots of room for improvement.
On 1/12/2016 6:24 AM, Frank wrote:

When I originally set out to add some "heat" to the citrus trees, I naturally thought of using large "power resistors" (being an EE). But, power resistors cost a lot of money (in the kilowatt size).
OTOH, 1000W of "light" at 95% INefficiency does the trick on the cheap!
[they are also handy as cheap "power supplies" -- for certain types of electrical loads]
On 1/12/2016 8:39 AM, Don Y wrote:

I did the same years ago for an unheated storage space with pipes in the ceiling.
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 21:47:12 -0600, "Dean Hoffman"

"Previously researchers have warned that the blue light emitted by modern bulbs could be stopping people from getting to sleep at night and campaigners have expressed concerns about the dangerous chemicals they contain. "
So turn off the light!

Dean Hoffman used his keyboard to write :

I just changed all My bulbs to LEDs last week. :/

Someone in Freecycle must have done that last week, because he gave me a bunch of incandescent bulbs. Maybe 20 of them.