New laminate is chipping off !

I noticed that there are traces of wooden dust around some seams, on the top of installed laminate. May be it is an indication that the pieces were snapped too hard. Though, again, this guy does not use a taping block (as instructions suggest), he just snap them together manually.

Reply to
Ikon

Installation just started but now have chips on the whole room with never heard off 2-component glue locks and glue laminate to the underpayment too? Will he also nail the laminates to the subfloor and finish it off with two coats of epoxy? If this is not a late April fool joke on us, get a real contractor.

Reply to
Fred

This is not an April fool :) The chips are tiny, they are visible only at half foot distance, and appear as uneven edges at a seam. What I am worried about is that they are going to spread.

Reply to
Ikon

How can a floating floor be nailed or glued to the subfloor? Think about it

*floating floor*.
Reply to
Clark Griswold

I'll bet you also think that clueless means you have some clues.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Sorry, I jumped on you, I DID make a typo. You are absolutely correct. It should have read If the floor is NOT glued or otherwise attached to the subfloor the term is "floating." Aging is hell.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I've been doing some research on plastic laminate flooring, and spotted a decision point regarding whether to use glue or not. Pergo recommends using glue even with their snap-together planks in areas where you'll have heavy furniture. The two-part glue is the glue itself and an activator, similar to an epoxy glue system, or auto body filler which uses a catalyst. The glue should not cause swelling along the seams since it is not water based. I could see a water-based glue such as white glue or carpenter's polyvinyl resin glue causing some swelling. Planks are only as good as the materials used to make them. A high density core is a factor, as is the quality of the wear layer on the surface.

Reply to
Sparksrick