new kitchen faucet time

When I re-did the kitchen 6 years ago I bought a pullout, filtered, Moen single-handle faucet. Within a year it worked like crap & when I finally got around to calling Moen for a replacement they didn't make them anymore. They were willing to send me a different faucet-- but I wasn't that impressed with Moen or their design so I said no-thanks.

So I got a $120 Price Pfister pullout [no filter] that has looked and worked fine for 3 years. But now it is beginning to catch a bit when it swivels, so I'm shopping again.

I am *not* fond of those 'stylish' monstrosities that seem to be popular. Pullout is a must. A filter would be nice. [although I'm considering getting an under sink filter and putting in a separate faucet]

I've looked at Price Pfister, Delta, and American Standard's site-- and browsed through faucetdepot.com, amazon, and efaucet.com--

Nothing is really impressing me so far. Does anyone have a suggestion-- or maybe something their faucet has that if I knew it was available I couldn't live without it?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I've had a Pegasus from HD. This after I gave up on Moen. I never liked Price Pfister. It came with a house I bought. The Pegasus has had a couple of small problems over the half dozen years since I got it.

This one is a single handle with a pull out spout,

One weak point is the plastic cover over the button that changes from stream to spray. They last a few years before starting to crack, a call to the 800 number gets a replacement at no cost in a couple of days. The replacement requires no tools except your fingers.

A second problem was a drip from where the spout attaches to the hose. I called the 800 number for a replacement o-ring. The customer rep assured me that it was not the o-ring but a micro crack in the spout, That would cost around $25 for a new spout. I said to send me the o-ring instead. She said you will be back for the spout. She was right.

All in all much better than the Moen. the last Moen had failed because the plastic member attaching the handle to the cartridge broke leaving the water running full speed and no way to shut it save the valves under the sink, It was a good thing this happened when I was home. The wife would not have found the way to shut it off until I got home.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

My house is 33 years old and only one faucet has been replaced. That was about 25 years ago. I'd check the quality of your water and maybe add a sediment filter. Most name brand faucets are good for 15+ years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not my American Standard Cadet kitchen faucet. The POS started leaking from the faucet body, and corroding the chrome finish after only 2 years. Shameful......

Reply to
SRN

Oh- I know we have a crap-load of calcium in our water. But-- The faucet that was in the kitchen when we bought the house lasted 20-30 years. [I paid no attention to what brand it was, damn-it.] The piece of crap Moen destructed from the outside.

The Price Pfister might be good for another 20- but I'm not that in love with it. It acts like it needs to be taken apart and lubed. If I've got to clean that cupboard out & get my tools out to disconnect this puppy, then I'll put a new one in its place.

Hang on to what you've got-- I don't see anything that looks promising out there so far. That Moen cured me of spending extra for the promise of quality. I buy the one with the look and features I like-- and figure on getting 3-4 years out of it. Any more will be a bonus.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:3PWdnexxReTENQ3TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

A sediment filter is what I need. Especially in the hot water line. Any recomendations, Ed?

Reply to
Han

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

We had a Moen that eventually developed a problem. I got a replacement new faucet, rather than a free replacement part. Total cost was (I think) $25. Now I need something again, since the hot water flow is severely reduced. I think I need a seediment filter somewhere in the hot water lines.

Reply to
Han

The housing brand I have is no longer made. There are a few brands of elements and they all seem to work as well, no matter the brand.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:I4WdnYZy_ce5qQzTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks, Ed!!

Reply to
Han

SNIP

Just installed a Delta Debonair (16927 SD DST). Installation a breeze (once we got the old Moen out) Other factor was that I just got a total replacement for a white bathrrom faucet from Delta for one on which the finish had failed after 11 years. Then again, I just like Delta. starrin

Reply to
starrin