new insulation mat'l

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-02/aerogels-hit-consumer-insulation-market
wonder how much more than fiberglass this thing is
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

It will be so expensive for years it wont be used in houses. And who knows maybe it deteriorates in 5 years, the guy said you can heat a 2 bedroom house with a canadle and it will get to hot. Dont beleive everything you read, if it sounds to good to be true it usualy isnt true, the candle statement is pure bs.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:06:06 -0800 (PST), ransley

Seems to me, any insulation will do that if you use enough of it. Practical and cost effective? Probably not.
Add pictures here
✖

One of the solar houses at the Solar Decathlon in DC, I think it was MIT's, had a wall of the stuff. The aerogel was sandwiched between two polycarbonate sheets and it transmitted a soft white light from the outside. Right now the energy code limits the amount of glazing. The aerogel stuff would allow more windows, granted not transparent, without taking an energy hit.
✖
ransley wrote:

Yes, the candle bullshit I think was said many years ago, I'll bet that guy feels like a real ass now with someone quoting him again on his stupid comment made many years ago. It's just plain stupidity. Is he talking about a house with no windows? Just one window probably looses a lot more heat then a candle creates. I suppose it's all relative. Maybe he has some big MF'ing candles?
And it's also only 4 times more efficient than fiberglass insulation. Think of a heating unit today, whatever flavor. In theory with the new insulation we should be able to use a furnace that puts out 1/4th of our current furnace. And is that equal to 1 candle? Sure, OK that means I should be able to heat my house with fiberglass insulation by using only 4 candles.
Add pictures here
✖

I think its only near 3x better than fiberglass batt, R 10 " aerogell. R 3.4 to R 3.75" fiberglass batt. It will have uses in commercial industry, but remember UFFI, it turned to dust in 10-15 years, fiberglass is glass and good for maybe many lifetimes, nobody knows how long aerogell will really last yet. I also read it used to be one of the most explosive products made, I wonder if it still is explosive in some way.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

If it was made with sugar, I can just about guarantee an explosive burn in the open. In a confined space it would probably act like gun cotton. Hmm, I've never tried to burn cotton candy, anybody out there done it?
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:25:51 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I can just about guarantee it will not burn in the open any more than any other approved insulating material. It MUST be treated to meet the fire codes if used in building insulation. Simple enough technology, really.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I didn't mean some made from sugar to be used for insulation. It was a hypothetical situation. Gosh, the aerogels are like frozen clouds and you know that powdered sugar, flower, grain dust, coal dust, etc will ignite and burn vigorously if tossed into the air and the resulting cloud of dust is ignited. I don't know if a silicon-based aerogel could burn or need to be treated to prevent combustion. Things that most folks would never think as combustible will burn if aerosolized. I suppose I should do a little research about whether or not it's possible for a silicon-based aerogel to burn. I like to freak people out by lighting steel wool. It's a good I bet I can set fire to steel with a match trick.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 4, 3:52 pm, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.net wrote:

Its R10 per inch, at any box store you can get a 4x8 sheet of foilfaced Polyisocyanurate foamboard that is about R 7" for about 15$ and fiberglasss batt for alot cheaper. It will have alot of uses , but not first in houses.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

It would probably be great for freezers and fridges.
Add pictures here
✖

I understand that has already been tried. The only real benifit was thinner walls. The real energy wasteing part of a fridge is opening the door. All the insulation in the world cant do anything about that.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
Bob F wrote:

Maybe we wouldn't need the condensation heating strips anymore?
Add pictures here
✖